Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-trip-report-550909/)

MonicaRichards Aug 10th, 2005 07:56 PM

Costa Rica Trip report

I've posted our trip report of our two-week trip to Alajuela (Xandari), Manuel Antonio (Tulemar Bungalows), Tamarindo (Capitan Suizo) and Tortuguero (Mawamba Lodge). Lots of pictures and details. http://www.markandmonica.com/Travel/costa_rica_2005.htm

linedweller Aug 11th, 2005 04:24 AM

Wonderful website! I enjoyed your CR pictures especially the Tamarindo pics, since we will be staying at Capitan Suizo in Nov. on our second family trip to CR. Your little ones are adorable and looks like they had a great vacation. thanks for posting, Ruth in Maine.

cruisinred Aug 11th, 2005 04:58 AM

Great website, wonderful trip report and adorable daugthers. I think it is so cool that your oldest dauther is so un-afraid of snakes, frogs, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

NCMom Aug 11th, 2005 08:39 AM

I enjoyed your website. Interesting that we checked out of bungalow #118 the day you checked in. I still miss their breakfast buffet. We also visted Doka estate and are loving the coffee.

MonicaRichards Aug 11th, 2005 11:37 AM

NC Mom, that is funny that we got your Tulemar bungalow right after you!

On a side note, I ordered a couple of baby red-eyed tree frogs from LLL Reptile once I returned and they just arrived in my office today. So cute. I am Costa Rica obsessed!

tully Aug 11th, 2005 06:04 PM

Great site, report & pics! I had to laugh about the mother-daughter you encountered - I have met a few like that myself!

shillmac Aug 11th, 2005 06:20 PM

Beautiful photos--amusing and informative report! Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful family--those girls are precious! And brave! :)

MonicaRichards Aug 12th, 2005 09:38 AM

Thanks Shillmac, I enjoyed your trip report too. And thanks for all of your compliments on my kids. They can be a lot of trouble, but they're worth it!

shillmac Aug 13th, 2005 09:42 PM

Yes, I know they are! We've not been to Tortuguero yet, and your photos have inspired me to get there ASAP!

dbarton Aug 15th, 2005 12:17 PM

We stayed at Suizo that same Saturday night 7/25 as you. Probably saw each other at the pool..

MonicaRichards Aug 15th, 2005 08:32 PM

I'm sure I'd recognize you. Too funny!

missypie Aug 16th, 2005 11:05 AM

How did the Blue Monkey look when you went over there for lunch? Any place you'd consider staying?

tully Aug 16th, 2005 02:39 PM

There was a scathing review/comment on the tripadvisor forums just the other day on Blue Monkey. Never been there myself so can't comment. I know there was a big to-do about a year ago between them & the owners of Cafe Milagro about Blue Moneky keeping animals in cages, which they no longer practice.

faithie Aug 16th, 2005 03:14 PM

The Blue Monkey is closer to Quepos than Manuel Antonio .... It has great room prices for what you get . Cute , basic , place , my neice loved it . It is not an upscale boutique type place , but a nice clean place to lay your head . Nice grounds and pools as well . They are the founders of "children saving the rainforest" , and responsible for building a lot of the monkey bridges . They help injured animals etc. I believe there were some issues and squabbling in the past ( hotel politics etc. ) I am curious to go see what it said on Trip Advisor ! Faith

MonicaRichards Aug 16th, 2005 03:20 PM

I like the Blue Monkey. Not sure if I'd stay there because it seemed to be a bit more budget than we're used to, but the restaurant was clean and the other patrons seemed fine (a lot of young tour groups). They didn't have any sloths this time but when we were there before they were loose in the restaurant. Not sure that having them in cages would have been such a big deal--the area for them seemed adequate, and most orphaned animal babies are kept that way.

faithie Aug 16th, 2005 03:27 PM

Yup , indeed some bad reviews seeming to state the same thing . Funny , because my neice is quite fussy and loved her room ...? Also read some of the same remarks about Costa Verde feeding the monkeys , I really hope it is not true . And more construction at Costa Verde as well as Tulemar , La Mansion Inn , Etc. Etc. Get there quickly !!! This is such a sad , sad thing , way too much building going on , I fear it WILL eventually become so built up that that will actually be it's demise ......

Christer Aug 30th, 2005 10:07 AM

I'm exited about a trip planned for the week of Thanksgiving this year. Its great to get perspectives on places people have been and recommendations on what to do and what not. In planning the destinations I want to visit I would like to get some feedback on the REAL drive times between these destinations.
Totuguero/San Jose area (assume ground transportation with two night package)
Manuel Antonio/Monteverde
Monteverde/San Jose area
Manuel Antonio/San Jose area
Anyone want to share?