Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-trip-703652/)

Patty74 May 8th, 2007 07:21 PM

Costa Rica Trip

I am going to Costa Rica with a University of Wisconsin course May 21-29. We are staying 3 nights, Occidental Torremolinos in San Jose', 2 nights Arenal Pariso and 3 nights Bosque del Mar At Playa Hermosa. I need restaurant suggestions for dinners and suggestions for the last day in Playa Hermosa.Our days are already booked with tours. Also how does one go to a performance at Teatro Nacional. Thanks

shillmac May 8th, 2007 07:35 PM

In Playa Hermosa, you should try Ginger--very good bocas bar. Excellent food and drinks. Lots of fun. Are you doing a daytrip to the Rincon de la Vieja? If not, that would be a good choice. Also Palo Verde--both would offer good wildlife viewing ops.

In San Jose, we just walked into el teatro and bought tickets for that night's performance of the opera Carmen. We had a great time. .cost us about $10 each. You'll want to visit el teatro while you are there, so just check out any performances that might be scheduled for that evening.

Have a great time!

Patty74 May 8th, 2007 07:54 PM

We are doing a Buena Vista Combo Tour (8 hours); do not know exactly what that is. That was the only trip that was not explained. Thanks for the info. We will be in San Jose' Mon-Wed nights so I do not know if they have performances then

shillmac May 9th, 2007 06:04 PM

You can probably access the schedule at el Teatro Nacional if you google it.

The Buena Vista tour will give you an EXCELLENT day! It will take you into the Rincon de la Vieja Parque Nacional for ziplines, mudbath, maybe some horseback, and a huge, long waterslide in ice cold water down the mountain. They lift a hatch and literally you will be flushed down at a very fast rate of speed in ice cold water! It's a scream (really), but TONS of fun. The anticipation is pretty exciting! I'm glad that is already planned for you. Have a great time! :)

Patty74 May 10th, 2007 07:00 PM

Need some restaurant to enjoy ..any suggestions?

shillmac May 11th, 2007 07:07 PM

Cafe Mundo, Bakea, are a couple. . .
Also, check out El Pueblo some evening for discos, bars, restaurants, artisan shops, etc. Short, inexpensive taxi ride from downtown.

joeschmo May 11th, 2007 10:11 PM

Many years ago I did an overnight at Torremolinos and walked over to a very upscale Italian restaurant just a few blocks away which was outstanding.
I believe the name was La Piazzetta? I'm not sure if it's still around or if it's still as good but I have a vivid memory of my husband having to scurry back to the hotel to put long pants on because shorts were not allowed. It was a true slice of Italy right in San Jose.

roadadvisor May 11th, 2007 10:19 PM

Yes LA Piazzeta still there..and better than ever!!

Good recommendation!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

peteandem May 12th, 2007 05:12 AM

A great restaurant while in the Arenal area is El Novillo. It is about a 6 dollar cab ride from Hotel Arenal Paraiso. We had a delicious garlic steak.