Search

Costa Rica travel in June

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica travel in June

We are going to CR for 5 days in June and staying at the Los Suenos Marriott. We are looking for tips as to what to do, bring, best options for travel once we are there, etc. We don't want to spend the entire time in the car traveling, but would like to see some sights, see the volcano, zip lining, white white rafting, are options as well. Thoughts so far- travel to volcano area- should we stay overnight, take a tour? Do this at the beginning or end of the trip? Is there anything to shop for while you are in CR? As you can see, we are just beginning to research. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Will you have 5 days total in the country, or does this include travel days as well? That may determine what you'll actually have time for.

It takes a while to get from point A to point B in Costa Rica. Most roads are little two lane affairs that weave up and down through the very hilly terrain. It would probably take close to 5 hours to drive from Los Suenos to the Arenal area (where the most famous active volcano is), so it's not really a day trip. Arenal is a a wonderful area that's easily worth 3-4 days in it's own right because there's lots to do there.

From Los Suenos, you will be close to Manuel Antonio National Park; also Carara National Park. If you're interested in wildlife viewing and rain forest ecosystems, these places are very worthy of a visit.

You can find zip lines in lots of locations around the country. Sky Trek in Arenal is a lot of fun...

You can probably line up a rafting trip from the hotel. The most famous river for white water is the Pacuare and most outfitters pick up in San Jose which is probably ~2.5-3 hour drive from your hotel. Your hotel should be able to arrange some activities for you, but keep in mind that if you plan to spend the whole time at Los Suenos, you may not have time logistically to fit in places like Arenal.

Good luck with your planning!
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Cmerrell- Thank you so much for your reply. We have 5 days in CR excluding travel time, but perhaps we should start out in the Arenal area and then head to Los Suenos or vice versa. Do you recommend a place to stay in the Arenal area?
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Hi, I take it you're staying at Los Suenos the 5 days. In that case, here are a few things that you can do in that area without stressing over the time.

You can do a canopy tour, there are a bunch right there. You can go for a half day fishing trip, Suenos has the best charter boats in the area. You can also do a really different type of tour: The Crocodile Man Tour. Tarcoles river, which is like right there, has the largest American crocodile population on the western hemisphere. And you can take a 2 hour boat tour of the river, where the guides get out of the boat and feed the crocs like 5 feet away from you. It's super safe, and so fun!!!

Plus, you can go to Jaco for an afternoon. It's not much of a beach, but they have amazing restaurants and it's a pretty cool beach town.

You can also find out about a one day tour to Arenal Volcano. If you do this, make sure to get the hot springs in there!

Hope this helps,
Marina K. Villatoro
http://travelexperta.com
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Hi pmath,

There are hotels in every budget range in the Arenal area. Some of the favorites here on the forum are the Lost Iguana, Silencio del Campo and Arenal Observatory Lodge (which is closest to the actual volcano). I also hear that Arenal Kioro is really nice if you want something more upscale (with the price tag to match). There's a lot of good selection to choose from.

you could do a 2/3 night split between Arenal and Los Suenos. One day will be partly devoted to travel between the two. You'll have to decide if you want to spend the extra night near the beach or the volcano. There are merits to both so you just have to decide what's most appealing to you.

If you're going to rent a car, plan to be on the road early enough on that travel day that you'll be at your other destination by 5:30-ish before it gets completely dark. CR is a beautiful place to drive, but some of the roads aren't in the best condition and there's not an abundance of road signs, so it's easy to get a bit turned around (we've briefly gotten lost at least once on each trip). You'll want to be at your destination before nightfall...

The Crocodile Man Tour and Tarcoles River that Marina mentions are near Carara National Park, maybe about an hour south of Los Suenos. I haven't done the Crocodile tour, but have read that it's quite interesting. I <i>have</i> seen the huge crocs from the Tarcoles bridge. I live in Florida and those crocs are definitely bigger than any alligator I've seen!
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to both CMerrell and Marina for your assistance! We are looking forward to our trip.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM

You'll love it!!!!!!!!
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM

I second the idea of an Arenal/Los Suenos split. Be sure to enjoy one of the hot springs at Arenal. Eco Thermales gets good reviews. I like Tabacon, but it is very pricey these days for a day pass. If you stay at their hotel, entrance is included. They have a wonderful spa! I'd avoid Baldi.

Arenal Observatory Lodge and Arenal Paraiso are the two hotels we have experience with. We liked both and the prices used to be much the same. Right now, the lava flow is on the side of Arenal Obs. Lodge. Might be worth a stay there in case you get a nice view, which happens fairly frequently.

While at Los Suenos, you might want to consider a trip into Turu-Bari park--gets good reviews. You can google it, and it is nearby. Of course, Manuel Antonio is the big draw for this area. I'd plan to spend a day there if I were you. Keep in mind the park is closed on Mondays.

Good luck--you are sure to have a great time. The driving does take up some of your time, but the drives are interesting and pretty, so not entirely a waste! Enjoy. . .
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I second the Turu Ba Ri adventure. You'll have the time of your life!!!
We did the canopy tour there, with my 5 year old, and my husband did the Superman zipline, rock climbing and rappelling. We also took the nature park tour with their yummy lunch!
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Everyone has been great with the suggestions. Thanks so much. I have another question, should we rent a car?
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM

Hi pmath,

We've driven on both our trips and had a great time, but it really comes down to personal preference. You've also got options to hire a private driver, take a tourist shuttle like Interbus, or even fly.

If you decide to rent, you'll likely want a small SUV for the clearance. Road conditions in CR are highly variable (which is part of the fun!). You'll also want to be really careful about leaving anything of value in the car. Costa Rica is generally a safe place to visit, but car break-ins are unfortunately common. Most people have no issues and the countryside is really beautiful, so we've always enjoyed the flexibility a car can offer.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM

Lots of people drive without any problems; we always hire a private driver when we book our hotels - that way we can just sit back and relax. Interbus is another great option like cm mentioned. If you drive or not just depends upon how adventurous you are. It's not that bad - can run into rain, fog, bad directions, a few potholes, that sort of thing - if you're comfortable with that, then you'd probably do great.