Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   costa rica tour operators (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-tour-operators-521754/)

iggybo Apr 16th, 2005 02:58 PM

costa rica tour operators

i'm spending three days in san jose and am seeking assistance for a good tour operator to take day trips. there seem to be so many choices, with so many offering the same trips, i don't know where to begin.

any first-hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

bluemonkey Apr 16th, 2005 03:12 PM

iggybo...

we just got back. contact:

www.vmtours-ca.com ask for karen.

www.gaiatours.com ask for ralph

can't go wrong with either one.

have fun!

keith

basj Apr 16th, 2005 03:50 PM

Keith,

I saw you recommended 2 tour operators. Did you use them both for different parts of your journey?

floydf Apr 16th, 2005 04:31 PM

We just got back last week, and made a GREAT new friend named Carlos, who works for his Brother's Company, Wady's Tours (Aventuras Turisticas Zamar). Their email address is [email protected]

I told Carlos we wanted to get back together a week after we left to travel around Costa Rica, not sure if he would even remember, but he was there just like he said he would be. They not only do local tours, but can take you on tours of other areas of the country as well. I believe his number is 506-433-3533, but I'm sure you can get in touch with him by calling 506-433-9346.

I had a response to my "LONG Combined Trip Report" that is posted, and another person also used Carlos earlier this year and had a GREAT time!

Enjoy your trip, and tell Carlos that Floyd and Robin said hello!

bluemonkey Apr 16th, 2005 05:47 PM

hi basj,

i used ralph at gaiatours.com and he was great.

my wife and i were rescued when lost in san jose our first night by karen and her mother. they own v.m tours and have a high tech office in their beautiful home.

i have also read many positive comments on this forum about wady tours.

keith

Txtrav1 Apr 16th, 2005 11:18 PM

GaiaLink Tours. gaialinktours.com. Ralph is outstanding and has professionally taken care of all my arrangements. Would reccomend without any hesitation. He can fix you up with whatever you want. Unless you have to be in San Jose for business, I would stay elsewhere so you appreciate the real Cost Rica, but if you are stuck in San Jose, I would look into day trips to Poas Volcano & Doka Coffee Plantation(not the Britt Coffee Tour) & La Paz Waterfalls, white water rafting on the Paquare using Rio Tropicales and maybe going up to Arenal Volcano & Tabacon Hot Springs for a day tour

carrom Apr 17th, 2005 12:27 AM

I am using www.rainforesttours.com. They seem very professional and able to organize personalised trips that costa rica expeditions and mawamba tours wouldn't do. Of course we haven't been yet so......has anyone else tried them?
Thanks

basj Apr 17th, 2005 03:28 AM

anyone used costa nica tours?

dfarmer Apr 17th, 2005 07:00 AM

Yes, Wady Tours is wonderful. For airport transfers and tours, we ended up using 3 of their drivers, all were terrific. [email protected]. Their office is in the Orquideas Inn in Alajuela.

If you are interested in white water rafting - www.riostropicales.com - fabulous experience.

Yes there are many operators that offer the same types of trips. Your hotel will be able to help you arrange some of these.

iggybo Apr 17th, 2005 12:49 PM

many thanks for the responses. i think i'm going to give gaiatours a shot.

iggy

sunbum1944 Apr 19th, 2005 11:38 AM

I used Green Tropical Tours- Juan Carlos was wonderful - every thing ran very smoothly and he was a great and funny guide - even brought his family over to the hotel to meet us - we had a memorable trip