Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

costa rica-Tico travel and car rental. What have people's experiences been with this company

costa rica-Tico travel and car rental. What have people's experiences been with this company

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

costa rica-tico travel and car rental. This travel agency comes out of Florida. They offer very competitive car rental rates in costa rica (I think they use cars from Europcar) I was wondering if anyone has used them and could tell me goods and bads. THanks
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:57 AM

We rented a car out of San Jose last time we were there and by the time we got done with all the charges it was $900.00. I don't think it was that company, but be really careful when renting. Read the fine print and check the insurance-I think thats where we got screwed. We will never drive again anyway because the roads are so bad. We drove from San Jose to Samara. Took us 6 hours to go 120 miles. We now take little flights. Good Luck to you
Sandy
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:45 PM

I use Adobe for car rentals. They have last model, well maintained cars and 4X4s. I book them through operators here in the US. Most agencies there require you to put a deposit of at least $750 on your credit card when you get the car, and insurance is required (about $18/day, usually not included in the price).

Hope this helps,

Enrique
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:20 PM

I think we used Payless in Guanacaste, we stayed at the Sol Playa Hermosa (very nice).
Make sure you pay by credit card. Ask your credit card company about accidents etc. Some roads looked like they were bombed! Huge craters a foot deep scattered across the width of the road so you simply could not miss going into one. The drive to Arenal Volcano was awful. Many roads are dirt and dusty and bumpy. They are unlit- people, oxen, kids, bicycles, dogs were blythely unaware of traffic. We struck and killed a dog, we felt horrible-we could not see him dart out. Try to drive in the daylight, there were sections of road that had washed away and no warning signs or orange cones were posted. Be careful.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I, too, would be interested in any comments specifically about Tico Travel. They offer a very good weekly rate for a Toyota 4Runner ($465 incl. all taxes, fees and mandatory insurance). I am impressed so far with their customer service - after several e-mails back and forth, one of their agents picked up the phone and called me directly to answer all of my questions. Any feedback on this particular agency would be appreciated.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM

I have used tico travel to book air and hotel in CR and so far no problem
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:52 AM

I rent my cars thru www.gaialinktours.com. They also use Adobe and like always the insurance rates is what gets you. I have rented 4 times thru them. They even passed on a discount given to them and that lowered the rate. However, I did a bunch of tours thru them including staying at their lodge in the rainforests of Manuel Antonio/Quepos. Driving could be very interesting since signage is at a premium.