Costa Rica Souvenir Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now that I have the logistics settled, I think...
1.what are some of the best, most native souvenirs? I've seen some nice wooden bowls and jewelry boxes online.
2.Are the prices and products pretty uniform (in Jamaica I thought it all came out of the same warehouse!)?
3. What have you loved that you brought back..or wished you had brought back?
4.Did you ship (reliable?) or carry?
(We'll be at Peace Lodge and then at Rancho Pacifico- with local outings around Uvita)
thanks
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Definitely a beautiful wooden bowl - we got some nice carved salad tongs to go with it; they have gorgeous wood products there, and whenever I look at it, I think of CR.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:39 AM

We also bought some wood carvings - a croc and a toucan that we love. We just carried them back with us in a bag on the plane.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM

My mom loved the wooden bowls & trivets I brought home. I'm still planning on buying one of those lovely rocking chairs, they are so beautiful. Are you going to Sarchi? I found the gift store stuff at PL ran kind of on the high side.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Sarchi is a tourist trap in my opinion.

You can get everything you'll see at Sarchi from

http://www.simesacr.com/

The chairs I bought in Manuel Antonio came from Simesa and their shipping prices are reasonable.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Those rocking chairs are great too. I forgot about that, but my husband got me a set for my birthday. He just ordered them online and had them shipped. We also got a little handpainted serving tray - wood with the tiles inlaid, and they have toucans, frogs, monkeys, etc. on them.

I know this is cheesy, but one of the best gift shops we saw was the Blue Monarch at the airport.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM

If you want something inexpensive to give to female co-workers, friends and family, there are bracelets/necklaces/hair things/belts made out of Costa Rican woods. I bought a bunch at the airport for lack of getting them beforehand, also noticed them at Peace Lodge gift shop for around the same price (something like buy 2 at $7 get 1 free). I'm sure you might find better deals if you have time to look around.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Don't get too excited about crafts in Costa Rica. They just don't have the craft industry that other Central American countries like Guatemala are noted for. Imho, unlike other countries, the best selection, although not the cheapest, is at the airport. All the shops there are owned by Cafe Britt, (with the exception of one small shop near Gate 4), so you will find the same selection and price at any of the stores there. It is also identical to the selection at Peace Lodge/Waterfall Gardens, because the shop there is also owned by Cafe Britt. Costa Rica has the most beautiful woods. Bowls, cutting boards, etc., make great gifts. In our experience, the hotels of Xandari, Grano de Oro, Si Como No and Villa Blanca are some of the few places that offer some unique gifts that you won't see in other places, but you will pay a price. When all is said and done, the gifts that we have brought home that our friends and family like the most is Costa Rican coffee. I've even given it to customers, and it has always been a hit.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:06 AM

If you like masks, the Boruca masks are very unique and some quite striking. And just to repeat what was said, coffee is always a great souvenir/gift (I even made shillmac go all the way to CR just to brings me back 10 bags! )The Cafe Britt stores at the airport usually have a buy 5 get 7 deal or something like that; though the best coffee I found was hand packed in front of me in Grecia for about $2 per bag.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Definitely the rocking chairs - we bought ours at Souvenir World over by Liberia and it was $15. cheaper than in Sarchi. I thought Sarchi was a rip but would still like an ox cart - they are beautiful! Also last year they had wooden frames with animals carved on them which i spent so much time looking at i never got one and those masks are gorgeous but expensive! It is definitely not a shopping destination but it is a spectacular country! You will have a great time - when you see something buy it because you may not see it again!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'll just have to up my budget! Are shipping costs pretty reasonable? I'm thinking about those rocking chairs...or I am I better of to try them there and order online?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Does anyone know if the rocking chairs can be kept outside on an uncovered patio?

I want to put mine outside, but will the rain damage them? I only saw them on covered balconies and protected areas in CR.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:38 PM

They'll pack the rocking chairs for taking home on the plane. We did that a couple of times, and it was easy. We also shipped 2 home and they made it home fine, but the shipping really added to the cost. I'm sorry, I don't remember what it was. Our daughter has 2 on her front porch, which she loves, but she says, "You know, it just isn't the same..."
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM

i would not leave them out because they are leather but they did have them out when we stayed at Arenal with just a roof so i am sure the rain gets them. We live in nh and i do not think they are really meant to be out in the elements. You are right having it at home is not the same as sitting on the deck wathing the birds and the monkeys!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks, flycatcher - I think the Houston weather would probably wreak havoc with them. They look cute inside the house too; people are always intrigued by them. Not the same without the howlers though!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi. The simesca website folks emailed me back and said it would be about $130 to ship 2 of them back. I guess I have to figure out my excess luggage charges...

Leaving Wednesday morning...!