Costa Rica-small plane baggage wt limit

Feb 5th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Mike

Costa Rica-small plane baggage wt limit

I'm going to Costa Rica and will be taking small planes (TravelAir) out of Pavas airport to different towns. I understand that there's a 25lb weight limit. Is this strictly enforced? Can a pay for extra weight and if so, how much?

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Iza

Hi Mike,
We were in Cost Rica last year and flew on TravelAir. The limit is strictly enforced but you can take extra luggage if you pay extra, unless your plane is full. They weigh you and your luggage before you get on the plane at Pavas, they do not do that when you fly back.
I can't remember what the cost is for extra luggage but it seemed rather expensive. I seem to remember 2 couples who were checking in before us who had 2-3 extra bags and paid $100-150 extra.
My advice would be to wear your heaviest clothes for the flight (hiking boots, jeans etc.) and pack the lighter stuff in your luggage.
We were in Costa Rica for 8 days and 25 lbs per person is about sufficient for that period of time. I would imagine you will need more clothes for a longer stay.
Have a great trip.

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Iza

Hi Mike,
Just a couple of additional thoughts.
Check this website - http://www.crica.com/special/travelairterms.html
I guess those people in front of me at Pavas had a lot of excess baggage! Also keep in mind that your carry on luggage will very likely be counted towards you weight limit. The planes are so small that there is no room for anything but the smallest carry-ons inside the plane. Most everything, including our daypacks, was weighed and put in the luggage compartment at the back of the plane.

Feb 6th, 2001, 09:15 AM
lisa

We flew on Travel Air. We each had a small backpack and one carry-on size suitcase with wheels that definitely would have exceeded the weight limits if they had weighed them, but they did not even mention anything about weighing them. Our planes were full too (or nearly so), if I remember correctly. We were allowed to keep our backpacks with us on the plane but the suitcases all went into the luggage compartment. There were only 15 seats on the plane.

Feb 6th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Diane

Did any of you carry or see anyone with surfboards? Our son is headed down to CR in March with one. He will be flying Sansa within CR. Anyone know if a surfboard and a backpack under 25lb total will pass? Thanks

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Dean Gorall

I had e-mail contact with a Sansa represntative about the weight issue and they said that size is also an issue. That a parcel could weigh only 5 pounds but if it was 10 feet long they would not be able to take it. I suggest contacting them directly and asking the surfboard question at www.flysansa.com. They were very helpful for me.

Feb 7th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Diane

Dear Dean--Thanks. Will pass your suggestion on to our surfing son.