Search

Costa Rica SLP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica SLP

I put this on the end of a thread and I think it got lost so I am reposting it. Thanks for taking the time to check our project out.

I don't know if this is allowed but I am going to put in a plug for our Service Learning Project. I have found that the more people who are involved, the more resources we have.

Our eighth graders are adopting the two elementary schools in Potrero and Brasilito. We have already acquired a tremendous amount of school supplies. We are working now with DELL and Ricoh to provide computer support and a copier. The schools would also like white boards, which are very reasonable here, but very expensive to ship. So it anyone has connections with UPS or DHL and can get a cheaper shipping rate???

This is a link to our website. We appreciate any and all types of help.
http://www.ioniaschools.org/imscostaricatrip
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Shipping is so expensive to CR.

You might do better trying to find someone in the states willing to bring it down in checked luggage. I am on my way to Brasilito now so I think it is too late for me, but someone might be going soon. Post on all the forums and you might get lucky.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM

This is neat - I teach middle school, too (7th grade), so I love hearing what others are doing. Makes me want to involve our kids in some type of ongoing service project. They're NUTTY this week, as spring weather has finally hit Pennsylvania.
Good luck with the project!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Basic school supplies we are taking when we go. Every student going in June is packing school supplies in their luggage. It's just a bit too hard to pack a white board, a computer and/or a copier in a suitcase.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM

I'd be happy to take along some supplies to the little elementary in Potrero (Mariposa, isn't it?). We'll be there in August, the 8th through the 12th. Maybe when you return you can let me know what they might still need.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac, I am not sure what the mariposa, butterfly, reference is, but it is the only school in Potrero.

If we do have things that we can't take down or if we find out they really wanted something we didn't bring I will get with you and let you know.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Please do--there or Brasilito either. I have a place I can store it until we head that way.