Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica San jose Airport question (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-san-jose-airport-question-888395/)

gregtdot Apr 27th, 2011 07:19 AM

Costa Rica San jose Airport question

One of my friends is arriving to the airport a day earlier. He will be staying close by for the night then he will be coming back to the airport to meet us. Where can I tell him to meet us that would be an easy location for both of us to find at the airport?

Or should he meet us somewhere else?

Andrea_loves_travel Apr 27th, 2011 07:43 AM

It's pretty small, how about near the counter where you pay the airport departure tax? That is on the departure level. At the arrivals, visitors can't get into the luggage area and there are lots of people waiting outside. So you could meet there but it could be nerve wracking since it will be busy there.

volcanogirl Apr 27th, 2011 09:28 AM

They could also meet you at the place where you exit; that's where all the drivers wait to pick people up.

tully Apr 27th, 2011 11:21 AM

It'd be easier for him to meet you at the arrivals section. It all funnels out into the same place with all the drivers, taxis etc. There is a little shop that sells snacks & drinks right at the exit, I'd meet there.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Apr 28th, 2011 11:59 AM

Tully, there's a shop there? A gazillion times flying in and out of SJO and I never noticed that. The things you learn here! :)

hsmithcr Apr 29th, 2011 05:31 AM

No - don't try to meet at the departure tax desk. This is in the departure area, upstairs and it could be quite confusing to get there from the arrivals area and unnecesary.

What is wrong with just standing around in the arrivals area - just outside the terminal exit? There is a TV monitor there that shows flight status and a small snack bar.

The walls are glass so you can stand and watch the people about to exit and your party can see you there.

Jeff -- you would probably not notice that little place unless you were hanging around and waiting for someone!

Allylam Apr 29th, 2011 05:42 AM

Yes, arrivals area is best. There will be loads of people standing right outside and in front of the window, but as you exit, turn right and the crowds thin. Perfect place to meet.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Apr 29th, 2011 06:16 AM

I'll look for that shop next time. :)

Not everyone standing outside the arrivals area is innocently waiting to greet people they know. There are a few stories of pickpockets and bag snatchers. No need to be paranoid, but tell your friend to watch his things while he waits. And when you arrive, find your friend and go directly to the taxi, car, whatever. Don't set your bags down to hug or shake hands. When I arrive, I also make a point to have everything gathered up before I step outside. If my passport or money are still out, I put those away. If I want to put my jacket on, I do it before I get outside. I do those things right after going through customs. The people outside cannot see in at that point. I do it before stepping out into the room where the car-rental booths are. (There are windows there.) I don't linger in that outdoor arrivals area, which is probably why I've never noticed that shop. :)