Costa Rica Rental SUV or Van

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like recommendations on who to call in Alajuela/San Jose to rent a vehicle for 5 adult passengers to drive from Alajuela to Playa Flamingo for 4 days. We need to pick up a rental by Thursday afternoon to leave early Friday morning! 8-)

Thanks a bunch!!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM

There is a small problem with airport pick ups. The Tax!

The new airport at SJO is beautiful, and broke. So they tax every little thing. If you rent from the counter, you will pay a 12% tax on everything included in the rental. They tax the insurance and any additional fees, like GPS or cell phone rental, extra drivers, etc. It mounts up in a hurry.

Most of the rental car company offices are clustered in the Rio Segundo area, about a mile from the airport. This is where the rental car company van is going to take you anyway.

It is only about a three dollar cab ride to the office. If you taxi over, it is no longer an airport pickup. No tax. Figure if you are spending $300 for a four day rental, you can save $36.00 in tax.

We like Payless, but all of the other majors are there as well. Just let them know that you want to pick the vehicle up at their office.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Pat, is it true that the roads between San Jose and the Arenal-La Fortuna area are pretty good and easily navigable? Renting a car seems to be less expensive than four of us taking the bus or a private driver. We are going to be in the area for 3-4 days and we are switching hotels, so I think that might help. Your thoughts?
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM

The roads between and San Jose and Arenal are some of the best in Costa Rica. You can certainly drive yourself.

I think the road through Grecia, Sarchi, Zarcero and Naranjo is one of the prettiest drives in the entire country. I particularly like the church and topiary in Zarcero. It is worth your time to stop for coffee, and take a closer look at both.

Just be aware of your car when you park to see the sights. Unfortunately, the crooks have learned where the tourists stop. So do not leave your vehicle unattended.

Once you reach the Arenal area, you will find that it is quite spread out. So having your own wheels is a lot more convenient.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM

one more question please...do you generally get a better rate renting from Hertz or Avis in the US before arriving?