Costa Rica: rental cars vs. taxi/shuttles

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica: rental cars vs. taxi/shuttles

Hello,
Spending a week in Costa Rica (Arenal & MA) in March. Ive been looking at prices for shuttles and transfers as well as car rental. A rental car for the six days we will be there is under $100 (compact size). One way transfers are a little more than that.

Is it safe to drive? we are arrive to SJ around noon and leaving around the same time, so we would be doing those drives early. Would you recommend driving? I have read that it is safe, but some of those threads are older. Anybody been there recently? It will just be DH and I. He has driven in Mexico and other vacations (Puerto Rico & Hawaii).

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 04:40 AM

Lots of people do those drives. The Arenal area is very spread out, so a lot of people like to have a car there. We just use private drivers and then take taxis once we're in town, but they do add up. Things in MA are a lot closer together, so you don't really need a car there. Where we stayed we were able to walk to several restaurants from our hotel, and for those further away taxis were pretty cheap. You just have to be careful walking along the road. I'd say it's pretty safe as long as you don't drive between towns at night and you never leave anything in your car unattended. I'd look at using a GPS if possible since things aren't always clearly marked. You can encounter a lot of rain and fog on the way to Arenal, but less likely in March.
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Rent a car in CR is the best way to travel it, hopefully with a GPS if this is gonna be your first time in CR.
It is not dangerous, the only recomendation, dont drive when it is dark...
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

thank you Luis S & volcanogirl