costa rica recommendations for must see's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family with 2 teens is traveling in March to Costa Rica for the first time. We plan 2 nights Arenal, 2 Monteverde, and 6 at Los Suenos. My fear is that Los Suenos is a Marriott and we will not get a true Costa Rican experience. Should we shorten our Los Suenos time and add another location or are we already trying to take too much in? We plan to rent a car...good idea? We arrive at 4 PM so we won't have time to see La Paz. Should we try to add this in later? We fly out 9AM, should we get a hotel near the airport or can we drive from Los Suenos easily? Any other suggestions are appreciated!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:24 PM

Personally, I cannot imagine why anyone would travel halfway round the world to stay at Los Sueños, when there is a hotel just like it around the corner from where they live. It is expansive, in a great location, and totally void of any atmosphere. It belongs in southern California, not Costa Rica.

There are literally hundreds of incredible places to stay in Costa Rica. Los Sueños is not one of them.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Arriving at 4:00 p.m., it would be a good idea to stay near the airport and strike out for Arenal the next a.m. By the time you pick up your rental (after immigration and baggage claim), it will be later. Dark between 5:30 and 6:00. Best not to drive these unfamiliar roads (with conditions you won't be used to--people, bicycles, animals on road, no shoulders, pothoes, etc) after dark. Also, with a morning flight, you should DEFINITELY return to airport area the afternoon before your departure date. Do not attempt to get there in the a.m. You need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. That would require you to leave by 4:00 or 5:00 in the a.m. No point in that!

I've heard Los Suenos is very nice, but without a decent beach. So if you are looking for luxury resort with pool experience that isolates you somewhat from the culture of the country, it would be the place!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM
lvk

I agree with Shillmac that you should spend the 1st night near the airport. That way you can get up early the next morning and stop at La Paz on the way to Arenal.

We stayed at Los Suenos for 4 nights, and I have to say that, although it's a nice resort, I wish I would have booked into a locally-owned property. We were traveling with my recently-widowed mother-in-law and I felt she would be more comfortable at a large resort. (In hindsight, I needn't have worried, she loved the more rustic places!) My husband did enjoy the golf course, though.

I do think that 6 nights at Los Suenos is way too long. I would add an extra night at Arenal or maybe a few nights either on the North Pacific Beaches or Manuel Antonio. Los Suenos does not have a nice beach, and Jaco beach nearby is also not very attractive, unless you're a surfer.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM

You know, if you spend the first night near the airport, then 2 nights at Arenal, 2 nights at Monteverde, and return back to the airport area the day before departure, will that cut your time at Los Suenos down to 4 nights?

Also, I am wondering why you wouldn't choose Manuel Antonio, which is nearby, has great beaches, a huge number of activities to choose from, and fabulous hotels. Is it because of the golf? Paradisus Playa Conchal on the northern Pacific coast offers a fantastic 18 hole course as well as a great area to explore--and nice beaches. I don't mean to be arguing with your choices, just pointing out options you might not have considered.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the other resorts were all booked, as are most other nice small hotels listed in Frommers, so we are limited(US spring break time). We do not golf and we would definitely prefer a great beach. Any suggestions? We can cancel the Marriot, but we have a deposit for Arenal for the first two nights. How about getting a ride to Arenal and then renting a car in Arenal? Any suggestions for hotels near the airport?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM

I have a friend in Costa Rica (hotel owner) who is wonderful about helping people with reservations--just because she likes to help. She can pull some strings for you (and get you a discount as well) at places that might not be as booked as they say they are. You won't owe her a thing--she's just a nice person (if you can believe that in this "every man for himself" sort of world we live in today!).

Get in touch with [email protected].

I think she can help you find just the beach hotel you are looking for.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac, thank you for the help. I will definitely contact her. I love reading all your advice to people on Costa Rica. You are very patient with all of our questions and very knowledgeable. Do you think it would work if we got a driver to take us to Arenal our first night, probably around 6:00pm?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:41 PM

It is going to cost you quite a bit more to get a ride to Arenal, rent in Arenal, and drop off in San Jose. Just stay the night near the airport, have a car delivered to your hotel (or have a taxi take you to the rental place the next a.m. so you'll know where to return it)--much easier.
OR the rental company can pick you up (with a sign with your name on it) when you arrive, take you to rent your car, and off you go.

Of course, if it appeals to you more to get on up to Arenal that night for an early start on the day, it certainly can be done!
I happen to agree with IVK that it might be fun to leave for Arenal in the a.m., drive up to La Paz on the way, etc. You can arrive there in the middle of the afternoon and still have time to really enjoy the area that afternoon, night, and the entire next day. The drive without stopping to sightsee is about 2.5 hours.

As for hotels near the airport, there are several you might be interested in.

Villa Bonita (www.hotelvillabonita.com)
is VERY near the airport in the city of Alajuela (5 minutes). It is Tico-owned (Humberto and Carmen)--lovely young couple, late twenties, who rent a large house and have transformed it into a very nice bed and breakfast. Not fancy--but nice. About $50. Especially good for night arrivals and early departures. Good breakfast. The hotel would be a good experience to start your family off in Costa Rica because you would have the opportunity to speak with this wonderful couple--excellent English, by the way!

For that or a little more (depending on which room you choose) there is the Las Orquideas about 15 minutes from the airport (also in Alajuela). From either hotel it is a short distance to the highway that takes you to Arenal.

The Orquideas is American owned with a wonderful, mostly Tico staff--very attentive-and a TON of fun! I'm thinking you might like it because you will have a good part of the evening to unwind at a hotel and this one can entertain you a little better. It has a very cool bar---the Marilyn Monroe Bar, a good restaurant, a swimming pool, pretty grounds, and an excellent breakfast. Anywhere from $50-$80 approx. This is the place if you want to relax for the evening, get your bearings, some travel advice, directions, suggestions, etc. before setting off for Arenal. They have a tour desk that could be very helpful to you in planning your drive to Arenal if you want to sightsee on the way. Not a bad idea, IMO! There is a large TV room just outside the bar area. Of the places we've stayed, this one gets extra nods for a fun place to hang out in the evening.

Directly across from the airport (and a good location if you want to stay in a tight little area between the airport, the hotel, and the rental agency) is the Hampton Inn and Suites. Totally an American experience, of course (which we like to shy away from!), but very handy. Price probably about $90 or $100. Not sure. It is right there on the Interamerican highway (more or less).

All would be good options for you. If you stay at Villa Bonita with Humberto and Carmen, you'll want 2 rooms (each has private bath). Same at Las Orquideas, I believe. You can probably do a suite at the Hampton.

Of couse, you guys do what seems best to you. This is your vacation, and you can certainly suit yourselves! There isn't a right or wrong way to do it--unless you try to do too much in too little time--to me, that's just criminal in so beautiful a place where each locations calls out for you to linger a bit and enjoy!

I'm so glad you are going to contact Neta. You'll feel like you're talking to an friend in no time at all!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Hi,
I think Shillmac has some great advice as always. But I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents as well and add to her suggestions.
Last spring we stayed at Hampton Inn which was very convenient for us because we had 14 family members with us. We rented our car across from the parking lot. There is about 6 different agencies there. The hotel is litterally 2 mins from the airport.
We leave in about a week for CR for our next adventure. This time we are staying at Las Orchideas Inn. We have booked the Geodesic Dome which has 2 bedrooms. It looks great from the website. This might work great for your family. It cost about $140.
http://www.orquideasinn.com/
I hope you have a great trip. If your like me, planning is half the fun.
TRIP
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Trippie, have a great trip! I'm excited for you!

Shillmac, I've got to look at that Orchideas web-site now...You've got me curious. I need a fun place to spend our last night near the airport, and then we leave on a flight out of San Jose to fly home around 9:00 am. How far did you say Orchideas is from the airport?

Drewcourt, I hope you're having as much fun planning your trip as I am. You have teens too...Plan a free day somewhere into your trip and encourage your teens to look at some web-sites and pick something to do for their free time. (Something that can be done as a day-trip from the hotel you've chosen.) I did this on our last family vacation and it was a big hit..."free choice day". It was actually the last day of our trip. They did some research but didn't actually decide what to do with their time til the day arrived. Everyone loved having a free day.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Las Orq is close, but you have to drive through Alajuela--takes about 10 or 15 minutes. It's one of the best places we've found in Costa Rica. The staff is wonderful. Breakfast fantastic.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Hi there,

you might find the 'Charming & Nature Hotels' an alternative; nine small, distinctive lodges.
for more information check the web site
http://www.charminghotels.net

Saludos,

Andy
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

We moved up our arrival flight and now will have time to drive to Arenal for 2 nights (Lost Iguana). From there we go to Monteverde (El Establo) for 2 nights, and then 4 nights at Costa Verde, MA. Neta([email protected])was a wonderful help in getting us a room in MA. Thank you Shillmac for the resource! She did get us a discount too. Any ideas how we can thank her...a small gift from the states? Our last 2 nights will be closer to the airport. Suggestions? Thanks to all for your help. Planning this trip has been exciting!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 08:37 AM

I want to tell you that I stayed at Costa Verde in MA on my honeymoon July 2004. It was great! The hotel arranged a tour of the park for us. Usually we prefer to do things on our own, but we were glad we took a guided tour of the park. There were so many animals that we would have missed without the help of our guide Mauricio. Also The Anaconda is the hotel restaurant. The food is not very good, but the view is great. Monkeys really do come to the hotel's grounds every afternoon. The best place we ate was a small place called the Blue Marlin. Good Luck!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM

So glad to hear things are working out for you! Last 2 nights near the airport--how about Vista del Valle? A great area from which to explore. . .gets wonderful reviews. We plan to stay there on our next foray into paradise!

Yes, Neta is a fabulous help. And so glad to do it. She is such fun to know---quite a little fireball of energy and enthusiasm! Impossible not to like! She and Arbel have made quite an impact in the little community near their hotel. They have contributed so much of their time in various ways to the school and other community projects. Definitely giving people.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:54 AM

There MUST be a new chef at Costa Verde , our food was consistently great . We ate out at a number of other places , Karolas , Barba Roja , El Gato Negro , Cafe Milagro , Vela Bar . Our food at Anaconda was every bit as good !