Search

Costa Rica Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
yar
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Questions

Thinking about a trip this year to Costa Rica. Looking to do some hikes in rain forest and volcanoes, see nature wildlife, snorkel, visit ruins,etc. Just in the initial stages but have these questions so far.

-See that Late May Early June when thinking of going is in rainy season. In general does rainy mean all day rain or just for an hour or two each afternoon, unclear on this?

-How bad are bugs/mosquitos?

-How much care has to be taken to prevent stomach disorders due to unfamiliar parasites in food/water?

-Leaning toward a tour by outfit called Caravan, as a little leery about driving due to reading about poor or dangerous roads and rental car theft. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM

Rainy season - May to October; can rain all day, or morning, or afternoon. Will definitely rain in the rain forest areas; hint - the name!
You won't see ruins in Costa Rica; need to go to Mexico, Guatemala, or Peru.
Bugs primarily along the Caribbean side; though there can be some on the Pacific side.
Water is clean in the larger cities in Costa Rica; use bottled water when out in the tullies.
Have not heard about Caravan; check this place out: http://www.vacationscostarica.com/
Driving is OK as long as you don't drive at night! I've driven from San Jose to the Pacific beaches without any problems.
You can also fly from San Jose using the local airlines - SANSA & Nature Air.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM

I had some of your same concerns. We had a great first family trip to Costa Rica, June 2005. It rained for a couple hours every afternoon, but this wasn't a problem, as we got up early for activities and were tired by afternoon anyway. Mornings are the best time for activities.

I was worried about mosquitoes too and tried to go to spots with fewer mosquitoes. Everyone on-line laughed at me...but seriously, it worked for us. We had very few problems with mosquitoes in Arenal, Monteverde, or Manuel Antonio. I only got 1 mosquio bite. We didn't need our DEET but we brought it. We didn't do any activities on rivers by the way, just weren't interested.

My hubby is a biologist and often travels with friends to areas where stomach disorders are common for travellers, but he stays healthy by following these rules whenever he travels, and I learned to follow them too after learning the hard way:
1) your body isn't used to the flora and fauna in a new place, so better to buy bottled water, and read the label, see what you're buying.
2) don't use ice in drinks.
3) don't eat any raw unpeeled uncooked stuff. so no salad, no fruit that hasn't
been peeled and no raw vegies. okay to eat peeled fruit or cooked vegies.
Okay people will tell you they have been to costa rica and ate everything and didn't get sick. While I'm sure that works for them, I have a delicate digestive tract and easily get sick, but following these rules I stay heatlhy now when travelling.
Also:
Don't eat anyplace where you don't see facilities for workers to wash their hands and also refrigeration.

We rented a car and hubby drove, but he is experienced with off-road driving since he's a biologist so the bad roads were fine for him.

Costa Rica is beautiful and friendly!

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:34 PM
yar
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and tips!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hi Yar,

We've had very good service from Ralph Manalestas at Gaialinktours.com. We told him what type of trip we wanted and he promptly sent us a proposed itinerary with accomodations, tours, driver etc. There is no need to rent a car. All we had to arrange was the international air. We took our three teenage daughters in the month of July and it was by far the best vacation we've ever had! Ralph has arranged another trip for us in April to the Osa Peninsula, without kids!

The rain in July was not a problem. We came equiped with rain jackets and rain pants. Never did it rain the entire day, but rained a little each day. Actually, I love those tropical rain storms so it was a real plus for me to travel in the "green season".

As for mosquitos, my husband and I got not a single bite in 2 weeks. Our daughters got a few apiece when we were in Tortuguero on the Carribean side. None of us had gastrointestinal problems. Enjoy your trip...you won't be dissapointed! Allison
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:22 PM

How much it rains depends on where you are, but May-June should generally not be so bad. Particularly May at the very beginning of the green season. We have spent an accumulative 5-6 months traveling in all parts of CR, nearly all of it in the rainy season. Rain has never once hampered our activities. And we have gone for days, even a week or two at a time with hardly a drop. Guanacaste, in particular, in drier than the rest of the country. The only area where "anytime, anyday, all year long" is applicable is on the Caribbean coast.

In all of that time, I can remember only a few daytime downpours lasting more than an hour or so. Mornings are generally bright and sunny and begin about 5:30! Any rains that will come will generally arrive around 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon and are generally short lived. At least, that has been OUR experience! Good luck!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM

By the way, Yar, use repellant as a precaution. Mosquitoes don't bother me much, but do others in my family. Dengue Fever is always a concern with mosquito bites, and some years it is more problematic than others. Last year it was very prevalent.

In the beach areas of Guanacaste, no-see-ums are a problem, particularly in certain areas such as Tamarindo--in the evenings. They'll deliver little chigger like bites below the knees and drive you absolutely nuts. Best to avoid them! I don't use repellant unless I'm going to be hiking in dense forest, but my daughters have to use it more frequently. The no-see-ums always are a problem for them. Guess I'm not sweet enough. . .

We have eaten anything we wanted and have drunk tap water and bottled water. No stomach problems at all--ever. That you won't have to worry about (although I concede there are exceptions!).
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:20 AM

We live in Florida & have found that Off "Botanicals" (a plant based repellent) keeps the no-see-ums away.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Most of your questions have been answered, but I want to mention that you have nothing to fear from eating fruits and veggies in Costa Rica. I bring groups there all the time and we indulge in the freshest most delicious fruits you'll ever taste and no one has had a problem. The water is very clean too, but it doesn't hurt to drink bottled. I don't know about Caravan, but I can tell you that Swiss Travel will do a fantastic job for you.

Sandy
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM

I just returned from Costa Rica yesterday. The only dietary precaution I took was drinking mostly bottled water, although I drank from the tap in San Jose with no problem. Otherwise I ate everything. I used Deet for insects and did get a few bites anyway, but otherwise insects were not a problem.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 06:49 PM

My wife and I spent the last 2 weeks of June in Costa Rica last year. The weather didn't impact us except for 1 day. It was clear every morning but would cloud up and rain by mid-afternoon most days. We just planned around it. We used Deet and had minimal mosquito problems. Glad we did as we have a friend in Costa Rica right now who contracted Dengue fever and spent a couple days in the hospital. We chose to drive a rental vehicle (a Dihatsu Terios) and were glad we did for the flexibility it gave us. We drove carefully and defensively and except for the trip over Cerro de la Muerte enjoyed the experience. We ate "Tico" food as often as possible including fresh fruits and veges and loved it. Had no intestional problems.
We had such a great time that we are going back for 4 + weeks in June/July of 2006.
Things we will do differently this trip: Bring clothing that we can wash and dry more quickly (nylon and polyester). Purchase trip insurance (@ $250 for $5,000 coverage) with great insurance coverage on rental vehicle, trip interruption, lost baggage, etc. Slow down a bit. (we rushed everywhere trying to see everything)
Have a great trip!