Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica - motion sickness remedies to pack for boating/fishing and also bumpy roads

Search

Costa Rica - motion sickness remedies to pack for boating/fishing and also bumpy roads

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband mainly gets sea-sick VERY easily. We are planning on going fishing one day, and I want this aspect to be covered. I think he'd be fine on our bumpy drive from PJ to BdC, but would like to have something for him just in case.

Should I make him go to doctor to get prescription, or are there OTC meds that work just as well?

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM

One answer does not fit all. (Some people are better off fishing from the shore.) Whatever preventatives you decide on after reading the responses, it would be best to test their effectiveness on HIM before you leave. A wider search on the web might get a wider range of advice.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM

My husband gets seasick and we also went deep sea fishing one day. We took a small travel pack of Dramamine (available at just about any drugstore OTC) and that worked for him. The key is to take it well ahead of getting sick -- about 45 min. before getting on the boat.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM

We take Dramamine as well and use Sea Bands as a backup.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM

I get seasick at the drop of a hat and carsick on windy roads. Dramamine or Bromine help immensely but I have to take them a full hour before if I've eaten recently. They don't help at all if you wait till right before or till after you feel sick. The sea bands are AMAZING. I hadn't tried those until last summer and they saved me on long, packed chicken bus rides on windy mountain roads. For the ocean I do both now. Happy trails!
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I think hopefulist means "Bonine"--Marazine works, too.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Bonine and Dramamine II are both meclizine, which you can buy cheaply in generic form here in the states. Other than scopolamine patches(prescription only), it's really the only med for motion sickness-and it's over the counter.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Bonine gets my vote..works great without making you tired. Sometimes it's hard to find but the boating stores seem to always have it.