Costa Rica - Monteverde/Liberia/Brasilito

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica - Monteverde/Liberia/Brasilito

First, this has been a great forum for a first timer to CR info! I'm going to be leading a Friendship Force humanitarian trip to assist the school in Brasilito in mid-March. We'll be taking them school/student supplies and donations. Can anyone recommend restaurant choices in Brasilito - already have Hotel Conchal booked for the group.

How about Palo Verde NP or other suggestions for 1/2 day tours since we will work in the school in the mornings?

Before Brasilito our group will be homehosted for four nights in local homes in Liberia where our hosts take us to Rincon de la Vieja NP and other area attractions. Does anyone have suggestions for gifts ($35-50 range)that our hosts may not be able to purchase in CR?

After lurking a few months on this forum and being a plant and hummingbird enthusiast, my husband & I decided to spend 3 1/2 days in Monteverde (instead of Arenal) on our own before meeting our group. I'm having a hard time with MV temps - everything says "cooler", but what does that mean? I'm expecting Liberia/Brasilito temps to be 85-90's, so MV temps 60's, 50's?

MV hotel is booked, along with a 4WD from Tricolor in Liberia, so we are all set w/ reservations and airline tickets.

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Trip #2 in '09 is already being planned to Central Valley area and Arenal.

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM

Brasilito restaurants: Camaron Dorado (don't miss it!)

Happy Snapper
Outback Jack's

Palo Verde a good choice--anything sponsored by the Organization for Tropical Studies is good. Seems morning would be the best time, though, for wildlife viewing.

Temps at the beach will be in the upper 90's in March, probably. Monteverde, not sure. We were there in July one year and it was hotter than heck with no trace of moisture. I think you might could count on some 70's while there, possibly, but better let someone familiar with March temps at MV answer that questions!

Gifts: things from your home area are always welcome. We have friends who love for us to bring things to eat that are not available in CR. That Poppycock popcorn (I get it at Target or K-Mart) has been a big hit with them. But doesn't leave much to remember you by! At least it is lightweight to pack!

Anything electronic is always more expensive there, so anything in that category (may be way beyond your price range).

Oh, and the girls in my familia Tica love Bath & Body Works stuff--especially shower gels and body scrubs. It's a bit hot and humid for lotions down there.

Cool sports watches, jewelry, and especially picture frames--especially if you can take some group photos while there and leave with them as a memento--or send to them later.

Fun shoes such as flip flops.

Sounds like such a great trip you have planned--and for such a wonderful cause. Good for you! Enjoy every minute. I LOVE the Brasilito area.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions, Shillmac. I was hoping you'd have some ideas - many of your previous posts came in very handy for planning this trip - ie - Cynthia at Tricolor - I never would have found Tricolor in a guide book.

I'm in Louisiana, so usually take plenty of our local coffee (MUCH stronger than anywhere else in the U.S.!) and Tabasco sauce, lots of Cajun food mixes. However, coffee isn't something I'll take to CR and I've read that most Tico food is not spicy at all, so that leaves out the Cajun foods/sauces. Your ideas give me plenty to work with for gifts.

The Brasilito school is hoping we can donate a computer, but the logistics of getting it there (and going to MV first) are enough to dissuade me on that. Our group will collectively give them a major donation that hopefully will cover the computer costs. I know it would be cheaper here, but since our group will come indepently from all over the States, it's hard to transport a computer or copier.

Ignacio at the school has sent several photos - they can definitely use our help, so I'm so anxious to get there.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM

Well, good! So glad to hear that--Cynthia is great, isn't she? Very helpful--and dependable.

I do hope you'll post a report when you return. You're going to have a great story with the school volunteering in the mix. Good luck on getting them the computer. You're right--that certainly wouldn't be an easy thing to get down there!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM

Hello Colibri,

I am interested in the school you are helping in Brasilito. I teach 8th grade in Michigan and we are looking for a service learning project to do.

My husband and I are going to CR in April and staying in Potrero which is very close to Brasilito. If my students take on this as a project they could start writing the students soon and we can raise funds for things the school/students need. Then, my husband and I could deliver the supplies when we go in April.

Any information you could give me would be appreciated, or if you could put me in touch with whomever I would need to contact I would be thankful.

Thank you.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi cgenster,

I'll be happy to share info on the Brasilito school project with you.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll give you the details that I have at this point.

I think it would be great to have another group take on Escuela de Brasilito as a project!

I hope to have 20 people in my group for March.

BTW, I grew up in Battle Creek, am a fellow Michigander.

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM

If you could can you give me info on Hotel Conchal - is it right in Brasilito - is there a website - how did you make the reservation?

Thank you!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Here is the website for Conchal Hotel in Brasilito. One of the staff members of the organization planning the humanitarian trip to assist the school stayed there this summer and really enjoyed it.

http://www.conchalcr.com/Our_hotel.html

Friendship Force International called the hotel directly and made reservations for my group in March.

I'm looking forward to my stay there.

Good luck!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

flycatcher06,

The link is Our_hotel in case the underscore doesn't show up, it's not just a space.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

can you tell me is this hotel on the ocean side - how far a walk to the ocean - i know it sounds like it is near the store but if anyone can give me a detailed location and if it is quiet?!? Thank you!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Flycatcher06,

I would email Simon and Rachel, owners of Conchal Hotel, and ask them your questions.

[email protected]

From what I understand (this is my first trip), the hotel is 150 meters from the beach. For my group, it's not an issue since we are there to assist the school, but if someone wants to be directly on the beach, it could be a problem.

A friend stayed there in July and was very happy with it.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM

It is across the street and then some from the beach. Not far, though.

Hotel Brasilito is a great choice for those wanting beachfront--especially one of the 2 little upstairs rooms RIGHT on the beach. Very basic, but honestly, one of my favorite hotels in the country. Used to be $35 per night--it isn't too much more now, maybe $50.