Costa Rica Jan 2021- need help!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Jan 2021- need help!!

Hey there-
I am in the very early stages of planning a short trip to Costa Rica with my husband and son(will be 2.5 at the time). We are planning to visit for about a week next January. I have traveled quite a bit but never to Costa Rica and am just starting to travel again since having my son. We have a few trips planned this year so I will have a better idea of how travel goes with him as the year goes on.

Originally we were planning on just renting a house somewhere like Jamaica for a week and just checking out nothing too exciting but just to get away. After a few days of research, I just realized its not how I am wired and so after briefly looking into South America(brazil) we agreed on Costa Rica.

I found a house in Santa Teresa that works great for our needs(crib,childrens stuff etc). I was thinking about doing 4 days in Santa Teresa and maybe 3 one other spot in between San Jose(airport) and Santa Teresa. I was hoping everyone here would have ideas on what is a nice spot for some jungle/animals/etc to offer a well rounded week? Prior to having our son I would have 100% spent our time on the Osa Peninsula bc it looks amazing but it just seems to much work for traveling with a young child. I want a combination of relaxing beach getaway and jungle/birds/monkeys/animals- amazing views. Also open to completely different spots if people have different recommendations. I haven't booked anything yet so I am totally flexible.

Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 10:49 AM

I like the Arenal area combined with Manuel Antonio for a first trip. The Arenal area has the Bogarin Trail where you can see sloths, colorful poison dart frogs, red-eyed tree frogs, and some cool birds. Also has gorgeous natural hot springs like Tabacon and Eco Termales. The Mistico Hanging Bridges and the Arenal Observatory Lodge are great for hiking. There's also a pretty waterfall hike you can do, mostly just lots of steps down and back up. Saw lots of people carrying young children there. Manuel Antonio has a beautiful beach inside the park, good open air restaurants, and lots of monkeys and sloths.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi VolcanoGirl!

Thank you! I did think Manuel Antonio looked so cool. Do you think with the drives we have time to see both places in a week?

We are really looking forward to beach time- do you think the one at Manuel Antonio is good enough to skip Santa Teresa? Also- what are your thoughts on the the Santa Teresa area?

I really appreciate the suggestions for walks that aren't impossible with a child in tow! Thank you!
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 03:49 AM

Yes, Manuel Antonio is really popular with young families because it's so easy there. The park has easy paths and lots of fairly tame wildlife so you can get close. Good infrastructure, air conditioning, etc. Good restaurants. We like Tulemar Bungalows because they have their own beach, and they have kitchens. Most people who go for a week go to two different spots. Costa Rica is so diverse that it would be a shame to see a couple different places. Have not been to Santa Teresa so can't give you a comparison but hopefully someone else can offer some info. Samara is another spot that's popular if you want to explore that one. You're right about the Osa; we love it, but it's sort of wild and off the grid and would be kind of a nightmare with a little one.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Volcanogirl!Im going to look into Manuel Antonio. Anyone else that has any information on Santa Teresa I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!