Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Itinerary with Kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-itinerary-with-kids-1190210/)

ilovetravel Jan 22nd, 2017 06:16 AM

Costa Rica Itinerary with Kids

Hi,
Planning a 40th birthday trip to Costa Rica with my 9 and 11 year olds. It will be our first time in Costa Rica and a different trip for us. We normally stay in all inclusive but would like to explore Costa Rica by car this time.We would love to combine some beach time with Arenal volcano. This will be a one week trip, flying into San Jose. I would love some suggestions! I am thinking we could stay in 2 hotels in 2 different areas and explore/relax from there.
Thank you!

volcanogirl Jan 22nd, 2017 09:51 AM

Our favorite in Manuel Antonio is Tulemar Bungalows, and they have their own beach. Lots of good choices in the Arenal area - if you want fancy, Nayara or The Springs Resort and Spa, close to wildlife would be the Arenal Observatory Lodge, upscale rustic the Lost Iguana, and very popular with families - Silencio del Campo or Los Lagos.

volcanogirl Jan 23rd, 2017 07:37 AM

You might also consider a first or last night at the Toucan Rescue Ranch since you're going in and out of SJO.

ilovetravel Jan 24th, 2017 04:40 AM

@Volcanogirl - thank you, will look into these!

volcanogirl Jan 24th, 2017 06:33 AM

The Peace Lodge is another spot that kids love, lots to do on the property since it's where the La Paz Waterfall Gardens are. Good for about two nights if you don't go to the Rescue Ranch.

ilovetravel Jan 29th, 2017 05:12 PM

I am wondering if it's worth it to go to Montevede from Arenal for a night?

volcanogirl Jan 30th, 2017 12:23 AM

No, it's a long bumpy road to get there and will take between three and four hours, not worth it for just one night.

ilovetravel Jan 30th, 2017 08:29 AM

Thank you!

volcanogirl Jan 30th, 2017 08:57 AM

You're welcome; to go to Monteverde, you would want to stay at least two nights.

ilovetravel Feb 4th, 2017 07:16 PM

Hi - Would you recommend spending the last night in San Jose or Manuel Antonio? Our flight is at 12:30PM.

MichelleY Feb 4th, 2017 08:13 PM

I would stay somewhere within an hour of the airport. Traffic and road hazards are unpredictable.

volcanogirl Feb 5th, 2017 06:55 AM

We usually get there three hours before our flight, and it would be about a three hour drive, so you'd have to get up pretty early. I'd stay closer to the airport as well. The Toucan Rescue Ranch that I mentioned is a good spot if your kids like animals. You get your own little casita there. There's also a really nice Marriott that has a great pool area, dessert and coffee shop, restaurants, etc., and it's built on a coffee plantation. If you want something fancy, Xandari is really nice with beautiful views.

ilovetravel Feb 5th, 2017 04:05 PM

Thank you MichelleY and volcanogirl! Reached out to Toucan Rescue Ranch to see if they have availability!

volcanogirl Feb 5th, 2017 08:21 PM

It's a neat spot. They have about 150 rescue animals on site, and they work to rehabilitate and release as many as they can. The breakfast with baby sloths is pretty amazing.