Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Itinerary Ideas for 8-9 Days (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-itinerary-ideas-for-8-9-days-997935/)

BKD Nov 15th, 2013 11:22 AM

Costa Rica Itinerary Ideas for 8-9 Days

Well it seemed no sooner than I got back from 4 nights at the JW Marriott Guanacaste, my nephew informed me that he was engaged and the wedding is to take place in May at the Four Seasons Guanacaste! So this trip I'm looking to actually see more of the country and less of the big resorts except of course to go to the wedding.

I'm looking for a few places to stop before heading to the Four Seasons, which will be the last stop. My plan is to fly into San Jose and immediately go somewhere for a few nights and then make another stop for a few nights ending the trip in Guanacaste at the wedding for three days and two nights and head home from Liberia.

I definitely want to go to Arenal and stay at a place with thermal springs (prefer higher end hotel-suggestions are encouraged). So where else to go? I also prefer not to drive so I'll probably use a tour company to drive us around.

Please help! Thanks.

DianeGermaine Nov 15th, 2013 12:06 PM

Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort may fit the bill for a high end hotel with thermal springs. I stayed at a smaller resort (Lost Iguana) with great views of the volcano, but went to Tabacon to enjoy the hot springs and have dinner.

volcanogirl Nov 15th, 2013 03:22 PM

If you want high end with springs, I'd definitely recommend The Springs Resort and Spa - it's a spectacular property, very comfortable with something like 32 springs on the property. They also have their Club Rio on the beautiful river that runs at the base of the property where you can kayak and tube. Lots of great amenities - horseback riding, good restaurants, fantastic service. We've also stayed at Lost Iguana and Nayara and liked those too, but no springs.

volcanogirl Nov 15th, 2013 03:27 PM

As far as other locations, we've really enjoyed Tortuguero, Monteverde, the Sarapiqui area, the Osa Peninsula, and Manuel Antonio as well. Do any of those appeal to you at all? They're all so different. We hire drivers through our hotels when we book them. A more affordable option is Interbus, and there are also Sansa and Nature Air if you want in country airlines.

BKD Nov 16th, 2013 11:48 AM

Volcano girl, I think MA is too far in the wrong direction. I was thinking about staying more north and west so we end up at the four seasons. So if we go to Arenal, we would need one more place go. Any thoughts?

RAC Nov 16th, 2013 05:29 PM

Monteverde would make a good contrast with the heat and dryness of Guanacaste.

BKD Nov 25th, 2013 07:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Plan has changed a little bit. We are now flying into Liberia rather than San Jose (better fare)and will be going directly to Tabacon for three nights. That will leave 2 nights before having to be at the Four Seasons for the wedding. Any recommendations for two nights heading in the direction of the Four Seasons from Arenal?