Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica - Is it safe to eat fresh fruit and raw vegetables? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-is-it-safe-to-eat-fresh-fruit-and-raw-vegetables-150109/)

Ted Jan 28th, 2002 05:28 PM

Costa Rica - Is it safe to eat fresh fruit and raw vegetables?

Our county health clinic suggested that we do not eat the fruit with a thin peeling. And not salad either...we were disappointed.<BR><BR>Anybody know more about this? Thanks for info.

christy Jan 28th, 2002 06:21 PM

I travelled there the backpackers way in 1990 and had no problem with food, water or ice. Things may have changed since then but I found it much safer than Mexico re cleanliness and hygiene.<BR>You are so lucky to be going there I would return in a flash. Just don't tell all your friends how good it is ok?

Ally Jan 29th, 2002 04:51 AM

Really? How strange. I've never heard that. All I can say is that I've been to Costa Rica several times, have always eaten fruit and salads with no problems at all. I drink water from the taps, too, and no problems there either!

Iza Jan 29th, 2002 05:00 AM

We went to CR twice and had the same experience as Ally. We ate fruit, salads, drank tap water, had drinks with ice and never got sick.<BR>All places we stayed at served a variety of fresh fruit for breakfast and fruity drinks - I can't imagine not having any!

Tia Jan 29th, 2002 05:34 AM

I was actually told the same thing as Ted. They told us ONLY bottled water, no fruits that are already peeled, or any lettuce that might have been washed. Also no ice or anything that would be served on tap such as beer or pop. It is pretty much narrowing down what we can actually eat and drink which is half the fun of going on a trip! We're thinking we can't even have a cup of coffee with our breakfast unless we make it in our room with bottled water or ask the cook to boil a pan of coffee specifically for us. They have also recommended that we have Hepititis A & B, Tetnus, Typhoid, and take anti-malaria pills. I'm wondering if this is necessary. However, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, right? Apparently, the U.S. is suggesting that people coming INTO the U.S. from other countries have Hep. A & B, too.

Gina Jan 29th, 2002 05:39 AM

We returned from Costa Rica last Thursday and we ate fruit, fresh salads and drank tap water. Our friends from Texas and other people we met did the same. We never heard of any problems and we ate lots of fruit and salads. We also asked about it in every place we stayed. They assured us that they never had a problem.

Iza Jan 29th, 2002 06:11 AM

To Tia:<BR>I think the shots are a good suggestion and you could do it as a precautionary measure if you have the time and want to pay for them (some of them have to be done a few months before the trip). Our daughter was bitten by an iguana on our first trip, and, boy, were we glad that all her shots were up to date!<BR>As to malaria pills, there is apparently some risk of malaria in some areas of CR but it is minimal. The pills apparently have unpleasant side effects, so you need to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself whether you really need them. We did not take any.<BR><BR>

Tia Jan 29th, 2002 08:44 AM

Iza:<BR><BR>Wow!! She was actually bitten by an iguana? I've never had the opportunity to get close enough to one. They always seem to scurry away.<BR><BR>Have you heard what kinds of side effects the anti-malaria pills can cause? The hospital that I work for suggested we should take them because we will be visiting the Pacific side of the country, too. Apparently, is is nearing the malaria season. That's why we've opted for taking them. Now I'm worried. Want to feel tip top while I'm there!!<BR><BR>Tia

Iza Jan 29th, 2002 09:57 AM

Tia,<BR>here is the basic info from CDC:<BR>http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/camerica.htm<BR>CDC also has information regarding recommended vaccinations etc.

MaryRose Jan 29th, 2002 07:02 PM

Malaria...this time of year?? It's the dry season..this is no RAIN.<BR><BR>I lived in Costa Rica for 10 years, now back in the USA. I had two children there, my husband is Costa Rica. He was born in Guanacaste and we traveled extensively throughout the country with our children. Went to every little spot you could find. Never had a shot or a pill for any of us. Eat all the fruits, vegetables and drank water everywhere. Even ate the food that was sold on the street. Never sick a day..<BR><BR>YOu will be fine. GO and enjoy yourself.

David N Cook Jan 30th, 2002 07:08 PM

Your health clinic must be thinking of somewhere else. CR is the cleanest and safest place in CentroAmerica. You and your family can safely eat and drink anything that you would normally have in the same manner in the US.

jj Jan 31st, 2002 05:03 PM

Personally I think anyone travelling to the latin american countries should have a Hep A & B shot. They last many many yrs. As far as Malaria pills, I think it is overreacting to take them if you are only visiting less than 1 month or so. Ever tasted one? Try getting a 6 yr. old to take it !!! Some people need to get a grip. Now africa, though, is a different story...

Harry Feb 1st, 2002 03:45 AM

No problem at all. We returned on Tuesday with two kids (4 & 5). We all ate everything. How can you not eat fresh fruit when in Costa Rica?

Fred Feb 1st, 2002 05:51 AM

In reply to some of the comments above, I think that if a health care professional is suggesting someone take malaria pills (or any other injections), than it should be considered somewhat of a risk, no matter how small, that malaria (or any other life-threatening disease) can be contracted in some parts of Central America. However, to tell someone to "get a grip" is a bit maddening. As I read these posts, I thought to myself that some people are a bit over cautious, however these people are trying to educate themselves prior to taking what could be a trip of a life time. Who wants to go to a new country and get sick or become gravely ill upon returning home if it can be prevented? It is a wise thing to research prior to going anywhere abroad to see what kinds of injections or precautions you need to do prior to travel. One's health is a very precious thing and we must protect it at all costs. There often are no second chances. To tell someone they need to "get a grip" is completely ignorant. In my opinion, each individual needs to decide on their own, taking into consideration the advice of their physician, what they should do or not do in regards to their health and going abroad. Who knows what types of health concerns some of the forum's readers already experience? Might this put them at a higher risk for contracting something than someone in good health? If Ted, Tia, or any of the other individuals reading these posts decide that the risk of possible minor side effects are worth taking a pill or a shot to have some sort of peace of mind while on their trip, than more power to them! We each need to make our own decisions in regards to our health. This is my opinion.

Phyllis Feb 1st, 2002 12:24 PM

Hi, On a different no. I was wondering if anyone went to Tango Mar with children. My kids are 11 and 14 like tennis and golf. I can't decide Tamarindo od Tango Mar. Any thoughts??? Tango Mar would take about 1-2 hours longer to get to but flyong back so.... Thanks!!