Reload this Page >

Costa Rica instead of Carribean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Sandy

My husband and I usually travel to the Caribbean once a year. We enjoy snorkeling, hanging out on the beach, dining out on good food, etc. We 've been to St. Martin (LOVED IT), Guadeloupe (was ok), Turks and Caicos (was nice), and Nevis (LOVED IT). This year, we came across this forum and became interested in Costa Rica. We still want to do everything we would do on a Caribbean island but maybe a little more. Has anyone been to Costa Rica for the beach? How do the beaches and snorkeling in CR compare to that of Caribbean? Why would you go to Costa Rica over Caribbean (or vice versa)? Thanks for your help on this!

Old May 11th, 2000, 08:05 AM
lisa

If your primary interest is beaches/snorkeling, Costa Rica is not the best choice. However, Costa Rica far exceeds the Caribbean in terms of above-water wildlife viewing -- monkeys, toucans, macaws, sloths, iguanas, etc. There are some decent beaches, but at least on the Pacific coast where we went, no good snorkeling that we came across. I understand there is wonderful diving on a couple of islands off the Pacific coast though. Also, Costa Rica is physically beautiful, with high mountains, lush rainforest, volcanic peaks, etc. Just very different from most of the Caribbean. If you have any interest in seeing spectacular wildlife in a tropical rainforest setting, while enjoying fantastic dining and wonderful accommodations and service, check out Lapa Rios on the Osa Peninsula (www.laparios.com). It is isolated and difficult to get to, but worth every penny. If you want to see wildlife but in a less isolated area with more dining options, easier accessibility, etc., Manuel Antonio National Park is wonderful and has some decent beaches (still no great snorkeling though).

Old May 11th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Spin

Sandy,Try this web site for great ideas: http://community.webtv.net/N0336/CostaRicaTravel & www.serendipityadventures.com

Old May 12th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Sandy

Thanks! Very helpful tips! It sounds like we need more time to plan if we were to go to Costa Rica

Old May 15th, 2000, 06:52 PM
Jeff

I agree with Lisa. CR is not the vacation you want if you mostly want to beach things. But if you want to see the rain forrest, live volcanos, or other natural things then you would like CR. Try Jamaica for the best of both. I loved Negril.

Old May 17th, 2000, 07:05 AM
Carole

Sandy, <BR> <BR>Give the Mexican Caribbean a try. Lots of beautiful beaches, archeological sites, great restaurants, and Sian Ka'an Bioshpere reserve. Look up http://CasaTropical.com for pics and info. <BR>Been everywhere from Bahamas,USVI,Haiti, St. Lucia, Tobago, but really fell in love with the Yucatan.