Search

Costa Rica in September

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica in September

I would really like to go to Costa Rica for my honeymoon next year. Can anyone tell me what the weather would be like in September? Also do you have any recommendations for a luxury resort?
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Hi Chloe

September weather is touch and go - though mostly on the rainy side. Rain isn't necessarily torrential, but it is usually a daily affair. At best, it's a light rain that lasts between 3- 6pm. At worst it's a deluge that might cancel a rafting trip. But this can also occur in the so called "dry season".

If you plan to include a beach stay during your visit, I'd suggest staying along the Pacific coast as it is usually escapes more rain than the Caribbean during that time frame.

The country itself is quite beautiful during the green season though - very lush and green. It's also a bit calmer at hotels and related tourist areas as it's the low low season.

As for luxury resorts, there are LOT's of places to choose from - depends on your idea of luxury and your budget.

Inland, you might want to check out Vista del Valle or Casa Turire. Coastal properties include hideaways like Punta Islita, more intimate places like Flor Blanca or lavish (albeit less Costa Rican in flavor) Four Seasons Resort.

Good luck

Scott
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Chloe,
Another thought if you want to lessen your chances of extreme rain. . .stay on the northern Pacific coast. Anywhere from Tamarindo up. This area of Guanacaste always gets less rain than the southern areas such as Montezuma, MalPais, Manuel Antonio, etc., although, as Scott said, that is only the norm. We got into a terrific deluge in March near Liberia last year!

Also, Scott, I THINK that September is actually a time of less rain on the Caribbean. There is a weather graph of Costa Rica that has been posted on this board (can't remember the site), and it actually shows Sept. to receive less rain on the Caribbean than the other months. I thought that was interesting, but I've always heard that heavy rains on the Pacific usually mean less rain on the Caribbean, and the graph certainly seemed to confirm that.

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I think this is the site that Shillmac mentioned:

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

The Caribbean coast is the place to go if you are playing the averages and want less rain. There are far fewer luxury accomodations there that on the Pacific coast. My wife and I are going to Tortuguero on the Caribbean this September to view the sea turtles...
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM

It is true that September is one of the driest times on the Carribean. I personally would include Peace Lodge at La Paz Waterfall Gardens in your itinerary, regardless of the weather. It would be a wonderful place to spend part of your honeymoon.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Here's a good weather link. Including monthly rainfall amounts and temperatures by region or city

http://www.costarica.com/weather/tem...-humidity.html

According to their site, the Caribbean side has the LEAST rainfall during Sept. all year! ie. Toruguero only 5.71 inches in Sept. compared to a place like Corcovado on the South Pacific which has 22 inches in Sept. and Manual Antonio has 20.79 inches in Sept.

We had originally planned on going to CR in Sept. for our 10th Anniversary, but after seeing how much rain was in the areas we were going to, we changed our trip to Feb. (we went this past Feb. 2004). Even in the dry season you still get rain. The day we were leaving Arenal was a solid down pour. Our shuttle left at 1 pm. Until then we laid in the Hot Springs, since it didn't matter there if you get wet! So just make the most of the weather.

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM

You can't go wrong with Si Como No for luxury and romance:

http://www.hotelsicomono.com/

It's in Manuel Antonio, one of the most tourist-friendly places in Costa Rica (for good reason). In September, it will not be crowded there.

And what's with the rain fixation, all you posters? A little rain won't make you rust or mold, y'know? It's the tropics, y'know? Rainforests, y'know? It is SUPPOSE to rain there, y'know? Any time of year. But it is usually a short rain in the afternoon. Frequently there is no rain at all. And even it you get caught in a downpour, you'll dry soon enough. It's the tropics, y'know?

Have a great honeymoon!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Don't mean to seem obsessed with rain but coming from Scotland, where it rains most of the year, it would be nice to go somewhere on honeymoon with no rain!