Costa Rica In 15 Days

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica In 15 Days

We will be in Costa Rica for 15 days in January (2 adults). We are looking at 3 days in the Arenal area, 3 days in the Monteverde area, 3 days in Manual Antonio area and 3 days on the Osa Peninsula. The first and last night will be spent by the SJ airport. We are looking at domestic flights to the Arenal area and to the Osa Peninsula and will take the boat from Arenal area to Monteverde. Haven't figured out transportation from Monteverde to Manual Antonio yet. Any suggestions? Also, does this sound like too much for a 15 day trip?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:04 AM

The itinerary sounds good for 15 days with the flights and not driving yourself you should be able to relax and enjoy the adventure. Some would do less wanting to hangout more sometimes but for a first trip it's good.

Private driver would be good for the M to MA leg. Not sure if Interbus or Grayline goes direct between the two towns. You might want to check that also.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Sounds like fun. I like to fly Nature Air for the domestic flights.

Sandy
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. Also, if anyone has recommendations on activities, hotels, and restuarants we would really appreciate your input. We enjoy all types of activities and any type of food. We typically stay in 3 star or above when traveling. Priority in hotels would be cleanliness and location since we will not have a car during this trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM

We like Arenal Paraiso--moderate, but clean and with a great view (at least right now) of the volcano. El Novillo for steaks would be a good place for you to eat at least one evening. You could also enjoy the waterfalls at La Fortuna, the town itself, Hanging Bridges, hiking the volcano, any of several area hot springs (a great experience for all ages), and a day trip to Cano Negro (Northern Zone--on a boat to see lots of wildlife).

We liked El Sapo Dorado at Monteverde, but I know there are many excellent hotels there. El Establo being amoung them. . .Johnny's Pizza would be a place the kids would enjoy--and the adults. Very good.

Manuel Antonio--we have stayed at Si Como No (very nice), Costa Verde (great view, not so friendly staff, but an excellent value for the $$), and Hotel California (also liked this one, it's less expensive). Tulemar sounds like a very nice hotel that your family would enjoy (more upscale)--haven't stayed there myself. Many have--always good reviews!

I do think Interbus runs MV-MA.

www.interbusonline.com

Your plan sounds good. Enjoy!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM

i got a shuttle bus from monteverde to manuel antonio, it took 4 hours as the road is famously awful near Monteverde:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/costa_...ome/index.html
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Out of curiosity how are you getting from SJ airport to the Arenal area and how are you getting from Manuel Antonio to the Osa Peninsula. Wouldn't it be easier to rent a car?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

For both SJ to Arenal and Manuel Antonio to OSA Peninsula, we are looking at domestic flights. Since we are hoping to visit many areas in a short amount of time, we thought domestic flights would be best.

Any comments on the following hotels: Volcano Inn in the Arenal area, Hotel El Sapo Dorado in Monteverde, Hotel Si Como No is Manuel Antonio and Bosque del Cabo in Osa Peninsula. We just found out Bosque del Cabo only has garden cabana available. Would it be better to book at the Parriot Bay Village Lodge?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM

I'm assuming there's no local flights from Arenal to Manuel Antonio, seem like there would be.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM

There are flights on Nature Air from Arenal to MA via San Jose but for the past 2 seasons have only operated in the low season. Could always change though.

Re the garden cabinas at BdC, just keep in mind they are really open! I have a photo of one in my 2005 album & lots of BdC pics in 2005 & 2006 albums here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...2&conn_speed=1

Hope that links works!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM

sorry try this one: http://tinyurl.com/pgxew
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM

We liked Arenal Lodge in Arenal, El Sapo Dorado in Monteverde, and Casa Corcovado in the Osa.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM

We enjoyed Si Como No, although it seems very expensive these days; and LOVE Bosque del Cabo. Haven't stayed in the garden cabina, but it's a fabulous property. Maybe Tully's photos will help you decide. . .oh, we also liked El Sapo Dorado

Hi Tully!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Tully,
Thanks for the info although I could not open your photos. I had read on trip advisor that the garden accommodations were not recommended (at least by that one writer). Any feedback?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM

If you'd like to see the pic, plus lots of BdC, you can e-mail me (keyfan at hotmail dot com & I'll send you an invite from Kodak. Personally they seemded too open for me but I think shillmac has stayed there & liked it.

Hi Jill!