Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Costa Rica: ideas for a grandma and her grand daughter please

Costa Rica: ideas for a grandma and her grand daughter please

Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica: ideas for a grandma and her grand daughter please

Hello! I am planning a trip for 2-3 weeks long and wondering is Costa Rica is the place to venture with my 6o year old grandma. She's totally gungho but I have done a lot of travelling and she hasn't. Do you think we could find lots of fun stuff to do that would cater to both a younger and older travel itineray? I really want to share this expereince with her just not sure if Costa Rica is the optimal destination for us.

I am thinking we'd travel for most of February. Then she would head back to Canada and I would continue on through Central/Latin America. Any pointers, tips?
Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM

gungho granny, sounds like trouble

La Fortuna-for volcano and things to do-, Manuel Antonio/ for beach, park and sunset cocktails:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/costa_...ome/index.html
Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM

I think you'd both have a grand time. You'll have a month???

You should spend time on the Osa--there are some nice walking trails at Bosque del Cabo as well as some more strenuous ones--the wildlife is incredible!

Arenal for a few days. . . . .everyone should see an active volcano once! And there is so much to do there otherwise. If your grandma is in good health, there'll be no stopping her!

Sarapiqui area--Caribbean lowlands. . .at Selva Verde or La Quinta de Sarapiqui--tour La Selva Biological Station and do the slow jungle cruise down the Sarapiqui.

Manuel Antonio (might be a disappointment after the Osa), but still a beautiful area--always lots going on and plenty to do!

Near there: Carara Biological Reserve would be a good bet as well as Turubari Park

In the central area, within a 50km radium of the city, you should see Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall Gardens (stay at Peace Lodge on their property for a real treat), Doka Coffee Estate tour, Volcan Irazu, Lankester Gardens, Orosi Valley, the basilica at Cartago, the old church ruins at Ujarras (1600's), Cachi Lake and Dam. . . .the list goes on. You'd both enjoy Zoo Ave (bird zoo, rehab center) in Alajuela, visiting Sarchi, Grecia, Zarcero, beautiful little colonial towns; perhaps some white water rafting. . .

You should plan to stay 3-4 days near the airport just to take in all the many points of interest mentioned above. There is just SO much!

You might enjoy a trip down to San Gerardo de Dota and Savegre Lodge for a beautiful high country experience in the cloud forest. Great birding there and some very nice walks. You can enjoy hiking the cloud forest--just have Marino drive you up past the steepest ascent in his "mule". He's a great birding guide if you'd like him to spend some time with you doing that. Your grandmother would enjoy seeing the fabulous quetzales--and I'll bet you'd like it too!

Monteverde is another option to combine with Arenal. 3-4 days each place with a jeep, boat, jeep transfer in between across Lake Arenal.

Take her to Playa Grande, near Tamarindo, to see the giant leatherback turtles nesting. . .their season is December-March. That would be a real treat!

Get yourselves a good guide book, think about what you'd most want to do, and begin work on a plan. I think you're going to have the time of your lives!

Search this Thread