Costa Rica Hotel Itinerary Suggestions

Oct 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Hotel Itinerary Suggestions

Hey there,

How you all doing? My wife and I are going to be renewing our wedding vows in May 2004. This is our very first time to Costa Rica. There are so many nice choices, that we just can't stay at one! So we have decided this hotel itinerary.

Stay at the Tabacon and get remarried near the hot springs. Then travel to the Makanda, and finally head over to the Rosa Blanca for the last two nights.

Our dilemna is this. We have 9 nights/10 days to play with. Should we stay 4 nights at the Tabacon, and 3 at the Makanda, or vice versa? We know the last two nights will be spent at the Rosa Blanca. Anyone here experience both these resorts, and have a preference? It's only one night, but one night could make a big difference.

Also, what about renewal of vow ceremony? Should we choose to do it at the Tabacon or Makanda? We are intriqued about the beauty of having it done near the hot springs, but anyone have experience with the Makanda services?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Oct 29th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Also, in your opinion, if you were to split your time in Costa Rica between two resorts, and wanted one for best beach, and one for best best wildlife, what one's would you choose?

Thanks again
Oct 29th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Personally, I'd stay longer at Makanda than Tabacon. The hotel itself is much nicer, and I think the area around Manual Antonio is so beautiful. Not that the volcano views at Tabacon are too shabby. I also like the fact that there are several very, very good restaurants within walking distance of Makanda.

Jean
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I have never stayed at Makanda, although I am currently debating it for my own honeymoon. However I've stayed at Tulemar Bungelows in Quepos/Manuel Antonio before and the area is just great. I've heard so many good things about Makanda that I would guess it would be a better choice for your longer stay.
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:14 AM

IMHO, Tabacon is very overun with day-trippers and non-guests of the hotel who can get in to the springs area if they pay a fee. In fact, the springs area is really a zoo during the day and some evenings as well. I'd limit my time there.
Oct 29th, 2003, 05:39 PM

Hi there,
I would recommend two or three nights at Tabacon -- the hot springs are nice; the hotel is nothing special.

Makanda may be more enjoyable because the Manuel Antonio area is nicer.

You should consider going to the Osa Peninsula for three days; it's the last unspoiled part of Costa Rica. There's a great place called Luna Lodge (website is www.lunalodge.com) that's well run and terrific--imagine dipping in natural waterfall pools and having an afternoon drink on a platform high above the rainforest. It's peaceful and not overcrowded, as Tabacon and Manuel Antonio often are.

Have fun!
Oct 31st, 2003, 01:57 PM
JBX

3 nights at Tabacon is sufficient. As you'll be there in May, it should be quieter than it is during the peak of the dry season (Dec-Apr).