Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica - Honeymoon June 2012 (7-9 days) (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-honeymoon-june-2012-7-9-days-913343/)

coloboy13 Nov 27th, 2011 06:34 PM

Costa Rica - Honeymoon June 2012 (7-9 days)

My fiance and I are planning on going to CR for our honeymoon next June and are waiting suggestions and help for where we should visit and any other helpful hints those who have been there can give. We were looking at staying at a place like the Peace Lodge or Arenal Nayara Hotel and Gardens for like 3/4 nights (doing the zip lining, hiking, etc...) then heading to beach for the rest of the trip (thinking the Four Seasons).
A couple of questions we have is renting a car versus hriign a driver or paying for a bus fair? Also Which Air Port would anyone suggest we fly into? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you in advance!
Zachary

qwovadis Nov 28th, 2011 02:15 AM

http://www.fourseasons.com/costarica...tail_2684.html

Best for me only true 5 star in CR good 5 for 4 special now

Fly into Liberia(LIR) for this

Prefer to rent a car mapache.com good hotel drivers if you

do not want to drive.

papagayovargastours.com rincondelavieja.net for adventures

tabacon.com my fav at arenal.net volcano lave view room

FREE BEST hot springs spa IF you stay there.

skytrek.com best zip lostiguanaresort.com arenalnayara.com

ok no hot springs Peace Lodge too many caged animals plastic

plants for me just go to Disney World for plastic replicas.

Congrats!

travel2cr Nov 29th, 2011 12:05 PM

We also went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon and we did something similar...we spent about a week hitting some of the adventure stuff and then for the last 3 days we kicked back at an all inclusive. Some of the hotels we stayed at along the way were kind of lackluster so it was really nice to end the trip at a higher-end all inclusive resort.

I would fly in to SJO and then make your way towards Arenal and Monteverde. And then make your way over to the Four Seasons.

We did the zip lining + horseback riding in Arenal, the hanging bridges, and before we left we stopped at Tabacon. Since you're on your honeymoon I can't recommend the hot springs enough, especially in the early evening when it gets dark. So so awesome.

Figure out what you're interested in and then plan your trip around the activities. There's some good info at www.travel-to-costa-rica.com.

volcanogirl Nov 29th, 2011 03:10 PM

The Peace Lodge is a very honeymoonish over the top spot, but I wouldn't stay there more than two nights. There's not a ton to do in the area other than the waterfall gardens, Poas volcano, and the Doka coffee tour. I think you'd be happy with four nights at Nayara and then heading out for your beach time. We love the Lost Iguana too. We always fly into SJO. We book private drivers through our hotels when we reserve them. If you're adventurous, a lot of people drive themselves. Interbus is another option, but then you're limited to their schedule.

amagkid Dec 6th, 2011 05:59 AM

The strip of the Nicoya Peninsula from Mal Pais to Nosara is great for a honeymoon. Flor Blanca is stunning and there is a smaller place, Cristal Azul, in the town of San Miguel. If you opt for Nosara or Samara, stay on the outskirts of these towns to enjoy more secluded beaches and amore tranquil location. Renting a car and driving yourself is the way to go, or hire a private driver. You are going to want to get out and explore on your own and it is a perfectly safe country to travel in, with common sense of course.

coloboy13 Dec 7th, 2011 06:35 AM

Thnaks so much for the advice, so it seems like renting a car is an option. Any advice with what company is the best, trustworthy??? Is 7-9 days enough time for going to two different hotels (two areas)? Thanks again for all the advice this far! Also one last question is there any advice for the best time to buy tickets to CR for June???
Thanks!

coloboy13 Dec 12th, 2011 07:21 PM

We will be flying from BWI (Baltimore-Washinton DC) to Liberia.

costaricacourtney Dec 13th, 2011 12:12 PM

Hi coloboy13. My friend and I are heading to CR on December 27 for 12 days. Our plan is to rent a car, drive up to Arenal stopping at a couple places on the way, stop in Monteverde, and then out to Guiones on the Pacific. I will definitely keep track of our journey and report back to you in the new year when we return!

Btark Dec 15th, 2011 11:52 AM

Hi Colo,
I am doing the same thing but in reverse. I am flying from BWI to LIR and staying at the Westin (all-inclusive) and then going to Arenal and staying at the Nayara (looked like the most private to me. You even have your own outdoor shower and jacuzzi on your balcony and it'ss on the Today show and another travel show recently). We are flying out of SJO from Arenal. We aren't renting a car.

TravellingAround Dec 24th, 2011 12:41 PM

Definitely fly into Liberia. For beach time, go to Tamarindo/Playa Langosta. Great hotels, condos, or homes to rent in the area.

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com
www.tamarindo.com
www.tulin.com/costarica