Search

Costa Rica Help! Please!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Help! Please!

I am planning on traveling with my boyfriend to Costa Rica for 5 nights in early February 2008. We wanted to stay 3 nights at Los Suenos Marriott and 2 nights at San Jose Marriott. Does anyone know anything about these hotels and the different day tours the hotel offers (price, time, etc)? We'd like to do Manuel Antonio and a canopy tour from Los Suenos and Arenal and hot springs from San Jose. Does the hotel offer free transportation from the airport to both of these? Also, is it busy this veyr first week in February? Any and all tips about these hotels, nearby restaurants, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:16 AM

I can only address the Marriott in San Jose. Arenal is several hours away so would be an exhauting day trip IMO. Some things you can do from the SJ Marriott are: white water rafting, La Paz Waterfall garden (fantastic!), Poas volcano, a coffee tour, Zoo Avenue. There is a good travel desk at the hotel with alot of tour options.
We went to La Paz Waterfall Garden on a tour and I really wished we had just hired a driver so we could do it at our own pace and without lots of other people. It might be a good idea to hire a driver for a day to see all the local attractions that interest you at your pace in one day.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM

piggyme

Most visitors spend little or no time in San Jose since it is far from the things they want to do. Maybe the last day before they leave.

Keith
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM

The San Jose Marriott is quite lovely - pretty pool, golf couse. It's very close to the airport which makes it a convenient place to stay if you have an early morning flight.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM

I don't know anything about these hotels but I assume you're using points so you can stay free? If you type in Los Suenos there are a few recent posts discussing tours from there.

I suggest e-mailing those hotels to get their list of tours and prices and then you can cross-reference.

Good luck!

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

no, we don't haev any points, we're paying the full rates.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM

With 5 nights you might be better off paying the extra expense for a private x-fer as soon as you arrive, to take you to MA for 2 nights, then take Interbus from MA to Arenal for 3 nights, then Interbus from Arenal to SJO for your flight out. This is assuming your flight out doesn't leave too early, that your main interests are MA and Arenal, and that you don't want to rent a car. These would be better bases for you to see and do things you'll want to. Personally, with 5 nights I wouldn't stay in San Jose at all.

If you don't need beach time, but want wildlife you can take the Cano Negro tour from Arenal which is a boat tour and you will see many varieties of birds, monkeys, sloths, etc. You can do canopy tour, hot springs, hanging bridges, horseback riding and hiking around Arenal area. Peace Lodge (about 1 hour from airport) offers a nice experience if you want to substitute for time in MA and would be a nice end for your trip. You really need a private x-fer to get there, but well worth all the property has to offer. 5 waterfalls, cloud forest, jacuzzi on balcony over-looking the rainforest, ranarium, aviary, largest butterfly observatory in the world, amazing hummingbird garden, and other close up opportunities.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Agree with above, if you don't have to (points) stay at the Marriotts, I'd stay someone much closer to where you want spend time. If you fly between the 2, you could reasonably do Arenal & MA in that short amount of time. Or, just pick one and stay 4 nights, with your pre-departure night spent near Alajuela (where the airport is)
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM

When we were there in May, the SJ Marriott had construction going on. While the hotel is beautiful with a very nice pool, I found the hallways to be very loud since they were tiled and you could hear everything in the rooms. It seemed like people were coming and going at all hours. We were only there for an overnight so it didn't really matter, but I don't think I would want to stay for more than that, simply based on the noise factor.

Like the others said, find a nice hotel close to Arenal. It'a about 2.5 to 3 hours with a private driver. Public Transports take much longer.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Here's one more vote for actually staying in Arenal and MA. This will really help you optimize your vacation. You can definitely find some nice accommodations in both of those locations for well within the price range that you would be paying to stay at the Marriotts.

Most hotels can help you line up tours, activities, and transportation.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:37 PM
steviesmom

If you plan to stay at los suenos marriott you had best book quickly. They are already unavailable for March 2008, West Coast's spring break. We know numerous people who have stayed there and they loved it. If you check out their website, they have it all.....

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

yea, we booked already. thanks everyone for the advice! We are staying in Arenal at Lost Iguana for 3 nights and then 3 nights at Los Suenos and will take a trip into Manuel Antonio. Thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
steviesmom

I just went on a really cool website, www.maptak.com. I saw a satellite view of costa rica and also saw the Marriott lOs suenos up close in the Playa Herradura area. I took the satellite view of the entire country. It's breathtaking!

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:48 PM

For when you're at Los Suenos - if you like horse tours - you must do Discovery Horse tours. They have beautiful horses and take you to a waterfall where you can do a mud bath (makes your skin feel GREAT) and they bring fruits and drinks to the waterfall. There is a restaurant on the beach near Los Suenos named El Pelicano, they have 'Pescado Entero' or whole red snapper that is out of this world - plus they have lobster bisue that is nice. A restaurant in Jaco that is very good and has a large menu is Caliches Wishbone - excellent service and outside patio with good people watching. Posidon also has a good restaurant - the chef's name is Patricia and she's amazing. If you go to Manuel Antonio, I really recommend the white water rafting (different levels depending on how stable your heart is ;o). The Backyard restaurant in Playa Hermosa (just 5 minutes south of Jaco) is great to watch some world class surfing and great sunset. And last is Villa Calletas (just 10 minutes north of Jaco) is an absolute MUST for sunset. It's a hotel, but they have an absolutely beautiful restaurant with an outside patio. If you don't do anything else here - you must see Villa Calletas at sunset. I live here (Playa Hermosa) and these are a few of my favorites. I first came here on Mariott points 6 years ago. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM

We happen to be rare people who really like San Jose. The people are soooo cordial and sincere. Even if you're only using it for a base,I recommend Apartamentos Tairona (taironainn.com).It's out of the central area of the city but convenient to many things. The largest mall is there (San Pedro) as well as buses going anywhere for .50. Their rates are around $70-80 depending on the season.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM

anavert, I agree. We were glad to have a few opportunities to explore San Jose and found it interesting. We don't go there much anymore, but I did drive our daughter into town this past June because she'd never sat outside the Gran Hotel Costa Rica sipping cappucino and people watching, right there in front of the beautiful Teatro Nacional! We walked down Avenida Central to the Mercado Central and got in the middle of a huge crowd watching soccer on a giant screen mounted up high right there in the street. It can be fun and interesting if you've got a bit of extra time.

Now, if I only had 5 days, I'd for sure focus on Arenal and Manuel Antonio, together or just one of them. But IF there's some extra time, a little walk-about in San Jose is not a bad way to spend it!