Reload this Page >

Getting to the Galegapos Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 1997, 09:18 PM
Art Silk

Considering a trip from LA to Galapagos. Any info from tourists who have done it recently would be welcome. Which ship? Weather? Anything to see in Ecquador on the way out?

Old May 22nd, 1997, 05:42 AM
Gary Oddi

Going to the Galapagos? Anything to do in Ecuador? Sure... I'd recommend on your way, fly to Quito. Then take this train that goes down the Avenue of the Volcanoes. It is just a caboose car for tourist but it is great fun. It stops at several towns so you can see and enjoy the people and the markets. AND we got to ride on top of the car for a !spectacular! view and experience. You just wedge your shoes up against the little strip of metal on the roof and rock and roll down the tracks. Cool... What a view.... We only went to Riobamba because El Nino wiped out the tracks some years ago but it should go all the way to Guayaquil. Then go take the fight from there to the Galapagoes.... Gary...

Old May 22nd, 1997, 09:20 AM
Susan Park

I am going to the Galapagos from Quito, Ecuador
and don't know whether to take a cruise around
the islands for 4 nights or stay in a hotel?
Which way of traveling will give me the best
view of the Galapagos? Are there boat rides
from island to island if we stay on land? Help
me, please. And, many thanks. Susan

Old May 26th, 1997, 08:36 PM
Luis Haro

Dear Susan: I have been in the Islands so many times that I know them all, so question 1 when ?best time Dec.,Jan, the sea is calm and is better to be on a boat, but Jul.Ag. I dont recoment been on a boat, unless you like big waves and been sea sick,my advice is if you like snorkelin, get on the boat, if you dont there is planty to do on each island, but one thing for sure you enjoy it any way,if you have any particular question, just ask, good luck on your trip,Luis.

Old May 28th, 1997, 05:35 PM
helen wolkow

Galapogos a great trip!Went on The Beluga boat thru Quest tours, Canada 800-387-1483; ask for Janet Van Loon. Most reasonable thru them. If you have time can book boat while there (I didn't). Quito is great and we loved Cuenca, in the south.Wonderful hotel in Cuenca- Posada del Sol Calle Bolivar; Eduardo Quito is excellent guide in Cuenca.Don't stay in hotel to see islands. Take a 7 nite trip. Have fun. Helen