Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Girl Scout Trip: HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-girl-scout-trip-help-675004/)

Melissa5 Jan 30th, 2007 12:58 AM

Costa Rica Girl Scout Trip: HELP!

Shillmac and Costa Rica experts on fodors, I hope you are reading this. My friend is a girl scout leader for young women...not sure of the age group, but they have earned money for a girl scout trip to Costa Rica and I think they are senior girl scouts, young women.

I wish I could help them plan but I'm leaving soon for New Zealand and I know shillmac is the expert! They are on a budget.

Shillmac, I'm not sure I understand the prices on Neta's package. It says around $2900 for 2 people...does that mean $2900 per person, or do 2 people split that cost?

I lost your e-mail address, shillmac, as my son changed my e-mail around...but I still have the same e-mail address. Can you e-mail me?

Sorry I don't have more info but any suggestions for a girl scout trip to Costa Rica that will be exciting and safe, but won't break their budget? Thanks!

shillmac Jan 30th, 2007 03:29 AM

Hi Melissa,
New Zealand, huh? Sounds like a blast--when are you leaving? You HAVE been doing some planning, haven't you? Did you use any of Percy's tips on New Zealand? He loved it there.

No expert am I, but I do enjoy whatever helping I can do. It's just fun to talk about! :)

I'll have to revisit Neta's site. The package I'm talking about (Heart of CR) is about $2000 per couple. That's for both. So you see, a good deal. She has an adventure package on there now, and I haven't looked at the price on it for awhile.

When she left CR, she asked me if I would go partners with her on the sales of the packages. You can't imagine how much I wanted to accept her offer and how flattered I was that she would ask. I was in the process of changing job, moving to one that I knew was going to be both challenging and time consuming, so I simply could not make the commitment.

She struck up a deal with Liseth at Las Orquideas Inn (which is better anyway, since Liseth can work within the country and not long distance!) and they manage the packages together. I'm not sure how they are selling as of late, but at one of the times I was visiting her at La Finca, she had about 40 working at the same time. I'm sure it fluctuates.

You know me, I still think a beginner's trip to Costa Rica should consist of Arenal and Manuel Antonio. There are a lot of other beach locations that would be fun as well, but with the park at Manuel Antonio being right on the beach (and so many other things to do there), it seems the obvious choice.

Neta can help with hotel expense, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind my referring her. She can get you about 15% discount and is used to working with Arenal Paraiso and Costa Verde and Las Orquideas. She works with other hotels, of course. But those would be good choices. You should consider e-mailing her.

I realize I should have e-mailed all of this to you, but your address is on my OTHER computer in my OTHER home! :) My new e-mail address is:

[email protected]

shillmac Jan 30th, 2007 03:31 AM

Forgot to mention, although I'm sure you would figure it out! E-mail me and I'll send you Neta's e-mail address.

DOCROX Jan 30th, 2007 08:54 AM

After reading the other post about favorite places I'm thinking about New Zealand. Is Percy on this forum or do I look in New Zealand to find him? Is that board as active and helpful as this one?

shillmac Jan 30th, 2007 09:02 AM

Percy has been busy lately planning a trip in March to South America. Not sure what board he is frequenting these days, but you should check some of the others--he's around on Fodors somewhere. . .just got an e-mail from him a few days ago. He has great photos of New Zealand and Australia.

Melissa5 Jan 30th, 2007 03:22 PM

Thanks so much shillmac!

DOCROX: I have found the New Zealand board to be very friendly but not as much activity as other boards. I wonder why? Too far away for most people?? Anyway mlgb and Melnq8 are among the many helpful people on the New Zealand board!