Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica get together in May/June? Who's gonna be there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year some of us started a thread on the Europe forum for a "GTG" (get together). A lot of people ended up meeting at different points in travel and making great new friends.

Everyone here on the Latin America board has been so friendly and helpful I thought it would be fun to start one here.

This is for EVERYONE, not just me, so please, post away!

My itinerary:
May 19 - Aleluja (Hotel Bueno Vista)
May 20-23 - Puerto Viejo (Banana Azul)
May 24-27 - Arenal (El Campo Del Silencio)
May 28-29 - Heredia (Peace Lodge)
May 30-June 2 - Matapalo (Bosque Del Cabo)
June 3 - Aleluja (Hotel Villa Bonita)

Don't be annoyed if I bump this every once in a while for newcomers.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Okay I'll bite since it seems everyone is meeting up but me waaa But seriously...

May 4-7 Selva Verde
May 7-9 Peace Lodge
May 9-12 Playa Nicuesa
May 12-17 Bosque del Cabo
May 17-18 Orquideas Inn

Counting, counting down......
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:57 AM

March 9-10, HOtel Villa Bonita
11-15, Bosque del Cabo
16--Arenal Paraiso

June 14-July 10, homestay, San Joaquin
June 14-17, Rancho Naturalista

July 17-Aug. 7

July 18-19--Peace Lodge
July 20-21--Villas Lapas
July 22-24--Flamingo Beach Resort
July 25-26--Playa Grande
July 27-28--Hotel Borinquen, Rincon

This is a fun idea. A have a very good friend in Vermont whom I've only met once--at Savegre 3 years ago. We arranged the meeting on Fodors. We e-mail every week and have shared our lives extensively online. We'll meet up again sometime, somewhere, I'm sure.

Thanks, fellow Virgo person!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Well I won't be in CR at that time - I don't think! But we just returned from Belize, where almost all the Ambergriscaye regular boarders met while we were there. They had arranged a poker touney on Feb 11th in San Pedro, to raise money for a local school. We went and it was loads of fun and amazing to put so many faces to names. All the while I was thinking - wish the CR forum at Fodor's would meet up some day!

Have fun!

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM

hi all,

We'll be in CR from 5/9 to 5/22.

May 9 - Flight gets in at 12:45. Plan to get cars and head for my one-time home area, the Orosi Valley and see what we can before it gets dark.(Sanchiri Lodge)
May 10-12 Pavones Waving across the Golfo at tully while the guys surf.(Casa Siempre Domingo)
May 12-18 Dominical/Mal Pais/Nosara which, depends on the surf conditions and where our whim takes us. (I'm learning to live with this.)
May 19-20 Arenal area - at least that's what we think. (Place to lay my head - as yet undecided, which is making me a little crazy.)
May 21 Morning unknown (Costa Rica Tree Houses Hotel and Resort near Santa Clara)
May 22 Flight leaves at 2:00 so we plan to get up early and do a bit of exploring and shopping in Sarchi and Grecia before we turn in the car and hit the airport for home. (My own bed. I'll probably be ready for it by then. )
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Well, if we ever do meet up, I'll be the "unobservant" one--nope, my travel plans don't include May and just half of June.

But just in case anyone will be around last part of julio!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Would be a blast to meet up sometime, hey Percy! Where are you?
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Well, everyone's itinerary sounds great! (Even though nothing's matching up quite yet.) Thanks for hopping on this thread. I feel like I'm trying to play matchmaker Tee-hee!

Still...a few months to go...
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM

Percy is busy getting ready for 3 weeks in SA. He is leaving on Friday, the 9th, same day we're heading down to Costa Rica. There are several in his travel group and they've been having meetings, etc. Not sure what all he's staying busy with! Got an e-mail last week, though, and he is busy with his preparations. Gonna be a very nice 3 weeks!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM

Everyone's trips sound so nice, oh and all of jill's tripS too I can't believe you're going to be down there that much and we still won't cross paths! Well hope eventually some of us will cross as we get closer.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM

I've been researching Panama a little bit today. Glover and another Fodor poster have been e-mailing me some good info and itin suggestions. We're thinking we might spend our last week there checking out Boquete and Panama City (hoping to book Canopy Tower for a couple of nights). It feels weird to be in the beginning stages of getting geographically familiar with a new country and a little like "cheating" on my first love!

For example, to really enjoy Panama, we need to spend the full week, I think--which means I doubt we'll make it over to Puerto Viejo this year, one of my favorite places. That bothers me a bit. Choices, choices, and no matter how much time, it's never enough! Says a lot about a place, doesn't it?!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

fishee - Do you have your plans down yet? I know, it's hard making the final decisions!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:50 AM

bumping

Jill looks like your trip is awful close!! I'm still at 63 days and counting
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:51 AM

Jill,

Just saw tully's post. Barely over a week and you'll be there. Lucky you. We have a little more than two months, and still tons to get settled.

If I don't have a chance to tell you before you leave, have a great trip.

Fran
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:02 AM

Thanks Tully and Fran--I've already started packing and I NEVER pack early! What does that tell ya?

I just keep thinking one week from today I'll be at Hotel Villa Bonita with Humberto and Carmen and holding little Felipe! Humberto has promised to buy sunscreen repellent, and wine for us. It will be nice not to have to take our own.

It will be as good to see them again as it will to soak up all the great vibes at Bosque del Cabo! Our entire crew is getting exciting. We've had another person sign on--there will be 7 of us now.

Thanks for you good wishes!

And Panama for first week of August is coming together!

Only 62 days now, Tully!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:03 AM

Please note the need for a comma between sunscreen and repellent!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM

What a great idea. I wish we could team up. We will be there for 4-5 weeks starting in mid June but we will be out in the boonies learning about trees for the first two weeks. Don't have the exact schedule yet. I know we will be in Monteverde for a few of those days. If we get weekends off like language school maybe I can spin off to Arenal. We are then going to be meeting with some architects and builders in San Isidro and visiting with our Costa Rican friends in Cordoncillo. After that I may be on my own or may be traveling with my niece and her daughter who are going down for the first time.

Another board that I am on gets together locally and then they have huge get togethers. We actually traveled to Guatemala last year with friends we made on that board. We meet almost weekly for dinner.

Gosh another one going to Panama. This will be your second time there if I remember correctly or did your plans to go to Bocas not work out. We enjoyed Boquete and Cerro Punta. Highly recommend hiking the Sendero de los Quetzales. The really exciting time to stay in the Tower is during the hawk migration but sounds interesting for any time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM

hey hipchick (can i call you that?)

so far, looks like:

may 14: sjo
15-18: ma (si como no)
18-21: arenal (arenal observatory)
21-22: ? (villa at peace lodge was sadly already booked...)

it looks like we'll miss each other in arenal by just a few days -- too bad.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM

Hey, we're from sarasota Florida and will be in Arenal May 19-21 and then in Monteverde for just one night before being driven down to Santa Teresa for 4 days of beach/poolside nothingness (was there for a week in 2005). Maybe another surf lesson for this old body. Would love to know the best day tours to take in Arenal and MV since we've never been to this part of CR. We have a driver so we can get to just about anywhere a car can get to. In our early 40"s and in decent to good shape for our age so we are not limited by too much (except altitude I suppose). Thanks for any assistance. MLW
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Sure fishee - you can call me hipchick

Too bad soooooo many of these plans have us JUST missing each other.

Still, awesome to see everyone's thoughts all coming together

shillmac - You've got the best chance of us all, but your upcoming trip will be here pretty quick! Yahoo! Can't wait to hear all about your "first" trip If you have the a chance, will you check out the loft cabina for me at BDC? Have heard any firsthand comments.

As Suzie2 mentions, a lot of boards to the local GTG's. Now that's a thought...I may have to get one going here in the great NW (Seattle) sometime...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -