Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica Four Days With KIds Where to Focus???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a four day trip to Costa Rica for next May with my family which includes two kids 7 and 10. We have never been to Costa Rica. We are from South Florida and while we love the beach we do alot of that at home so we are looking for more outdoor activities that are suitable for a 7 and 10 year old. My husband is a bit of a hotel snob and loves to eat. I want the kids to see rainforests and volcanoes and wild animal life. Can anyone suggest a destination in Costa Rica that may work for us? I looked into the Buena Vista Villas in Manuel Antonio. It seemed to fit the bill until I learned it was a 4 hour drive from the airport and we only have 4 days. Thank you!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Is there any way you can extend your trip at all? Four days just isn't a lot of time in CR because of the travel times involved. I would say either Manuel Antonio or Arenal would be the best spot for a first time visitor, but both will need travel time. We just went to Arenal for our second time, and it took us 2.5 hours from the airport with our driver, but that was late at night and without traffic. It's a neat area with the amazing Cano Negro tour to see wildlife, ziplines like SkyTrek, natural hot springs like EcoTermales and Tabacon, the Hanging Bridges, an active volcano, waterfall - lots of good stuff you would enjoy. We always stay at the Lost Iguana and love it; it's set a little outside town on beautiful grounds. The rooms have great volcano views. We liked El Novillo for steaks and La Choza de Laurel - they're known for their rotisserie chicken.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Wow...that sounds great. I am limited to 4 days though. My husband cannot take off more days from work. Is there anything closer to the airport (1 hour or less)?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM

I agree with heading up to Arenal. You really should venture up there even though it's more than an hour from the airport you will have more activities to choose from there.

I recommend Los Lagos for a great place to stay with kids but it may not fit your husbands needs if he wants something more upscale like Lost Iguana.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
RAC

Maybe something like Vista del Valle, Finca Rosa Blanca, Xandari, or Peace Lodge in the general vicinity of the airport in the central valley. From there, you can raft the Pacuare (I believe some outfitters will pick you up in the San Jose suburbs), see Poas Volcano, the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, and a host of other options.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I can fly into Liberia from Miami. Its more expensive (at least now it is) but that would bring us alot closer to Arenal.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM

No, you are closer to Arenal flying into SJO. From Liberia it took us a good 3 1/2 hours to get to Nuevo Arenal, so La Fortuna is a bit further. With only four days, I vote for Peace Lodge, Xandari, something in the Central Valley area. There is plenty to see and do there for such a short visit.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Peace Lodge would be great for kids -- much to see and do. However, still think Arenal area is doable. If your husband is a food snob -- stay at one of the better hotels in Arenal.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I don't think Arenal hotels are known for their food; definitely go into restaurants to eat if you go there. The Peace Lodge is a wonderful hotel, but I think you'd get bored there for so long. It's about an hour from the airport, but I'd only stay about two days. We did not like Vista del Valle; our room there was the only place we've ever stayed that my husband said please don't ever book us here again. Maybe just the room we got though. I don't think a snob would go for it. If it were me I'd still say Arenal; if you really don't want to do it, I'd say Peace Lodge. Let us know how it works out!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM

Manual Antonio certainly fits the bill. The drive is closer to 3.5 hrs, but you could also fly from SJO on either Nature Air or Sansa.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:52 AM

Although the drive to Arenal is long, the experience of seeing another country and culture makes it worth while.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Another vote for Arenal, and with the kids, go for Los Lagos. The drive isn't bad at all, and you're seeing a new country while driving, it's part of the experience. It's less than three hours. If you can get a morning flight, you'll be in Arenal by mid afternoon. There's a lot to do up there. The kids will love Los Lagos and their property has enough activities to keep you busy while you're there - zip lines, horseback riding, great volcano view, small hot springs pools, a few water slides, small crocodile "farm", breakfast is included and it's good. The rooms are basic, but spacious. It's close to town so you can eat your other meals in town and get a good variety of foods. You're close to do the hanging bridges or other activities. You can do Canon Negro one day as well.

Being from South Florida, I would skip Manuel Antonio this visit - no sense in going to CR for the beach -sure it's a different beach type vacation, but go for the volcano!

If you have to spend a last night near the airport, then try to get Peace Lodge for the last night.

Until you know your flight times though, you won't know of the 4 days how much time you really have.

But I really don't think you'll be disappointed with Los Lagos - if you have kids -
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Another vote for Arenal for all the same reasons mentioned above. The drive isn't bad at all and there is so much to do in that area once you're there. My kids loved it!
Have fun!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM

We loved Arenal and Monteverde. However, it's a different vacation from one in which you will find lux hotels and top chef destination. It's a little more rustic, but with kids, it was phenomenal.

We took our three kids last spring, ages 10, 12 and 14.

Here's my prior note on rental cars and booking hotels:

Author: mom23rugrats
Date: 09/05/2008, 04:58 pm
We had an excellent experience with Tico Travel. They booked our car with EuropCar in Liberia.

Email Chella at Tico Travel: [email protected]

or visit their website at: www.ticotravel.com

They booked us with Europcar. We pre-paid the car with them and our encounter with Europcar was flawless. Tico Travel had a more competitive rate than anywhere else we checked.

Also, the owner was a great resource for tides and surfing info.

He also gave us a great hint. Go for the larger vehicle if you're making the drive in the mountains between Arenal and Monteverde. The larger vehicles have higher clearance and thicker tire tread. We did and were not sorry for a mere $40 difference in price.

Have fun!

Mom23rugrats