Costa Rica for 10 days - PLEASE ADVISE

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, a kind hello to everyone as this is my first post!
I'm hoping to get some advice/suggestions for a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. It's my first time going and it looks like I'm going solo. Frankly I'm a little intimidated. I have never vacationed alone before, I don't speak a lick of spanish, I have no solid (or even loose) itinerary, and no hotels booked as of yet. I've spent countless hours so far researching plane fares, weather conditions, what to pack, places of interest, passport, etc..etc.. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed and exhausted. I finally just booked my flight and I'm due to arrive June 27th at 6:35am.

So where do I begin? Umm okay well .... Where do I go in a strange foreign land at 6:35 am once I get off the plane? My general list of "to do's" include hiking (not too extreme), seeing some wildlife (I heard about a sloth sanctuary and some rare turtles if I am lucky), beaches, general exploring and sightseeing, swimming, drinking, nightlife, socializing (look out ladies I am single ) And did I mention drinking.

A friend of mine suggested practically bypassing San Jose and immediately heading north up to the volcano (name?). He said I could stay at a decent hotel by the volcano for a night or two before heading out to my next destination which he suggested to be the beaches on the Carribean side like Puerto Viejo. Although I have no real idea how long it will take to get from one destination to the next. Is it possible to take a cab all that way?

Also packing... I'm trying to travel light. I got a 40 liter day pack that is small enough to carry on a plane but I'm curious if it will be large enough for the entire trip. Has anyone done 10 days in a 40 liter pack or smaller? I figured I could do laundry at least once and buy any additional items I might need like an umbrella or more shirts or something. Also very important... I was thinking of bringing my iPhone. Not so much for the phone feature as much as the camera, note taking device, kickass Spanish english translator, MP3 player, Video player for relaxing on the beach, ebook reader, voice dictations, video recorder, etc.. etc... Any thoughts on this?
So far my pack list includes:

- 3 or 4 T-shirts
(someone actually said not to bring anything cotton as it will NEVER dry out - any suggestions otherwise? I was looking at these NIKE exercise shirts that are super thin called ARMOR or something like that. Does anyone know if these would be better than cotton t's?)
- 1 pair of Columbia conversion pants/shorts (lightweight quick drying)
- 1 pair of actual shorts (very light weight although cotton)
- Lots of socks and boxers that I am okay with throwing away as I go.
- 1 lightweight rain jacket (maybe waterproof pants too?)
- 1 ultra lightweight and compact super absorbent towel (from REI)
- Swimsuit
- Flip flops
- KEEN shoes or something like that for everything else besides flip flop
- Long sleeve shirt?
- Binoculars
- Bug Spray
- Minimal toiletries
- String & Duct tape
- Ziplocks of varying shapes and sizes
- Lonely Planet book
- Earplugs
- Headlamp/flashlight
- Small medical kit
- 1 bandana
- Sunscreen
- A hat

Also, I really do think having the iPhone will be super handy with all of it's features but I admit I am a little worried about it. Theft, moisture damage, loss, etc.. I suppose I would have the same worries with a camera too though. Will I need to keep these items in plastic bags most of the time?

Also,,, how much U.S. money should I exchange for Colones in order to have lot's of fun but still not have too much left over at the end?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm stressing out over here. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Al
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Here is a link to another thread that you might find helpful. It describes going to Arenal for adventure/activities and then Manuel Antonio for beach time--seems like a common approach for first timers.

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...5-thru-711.cfm (If your still on-line, its currently item #25 on the recent activity list)
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:56 AM

www.moon.com good guide book do some basic research

would rent a car for fun freedom www.wild-rider.com

or more tame www.interbusonline.com shuttle around

in 10 days

www.arenal.net

www.hotelsilenciodelcampo.com

www.monteverdeinfo.com

www.fondavela.com

www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.laposadajungle.com

works well for most first timers

Cool max and goretex work better than cotton

Prepare for lots of mainly PM rain...

Have fun,
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:58 AM

The sloth sanctuary is called Aviarios del Caribe www.slothrescue.org and is located on the Caribbean coast north of Cahuita (which is north of Puerto Viejo). I think June is still leatherback nesting season in Gandoca-Manzanillo refuge which is also near Puerto Viejo. This site lists all of the possible ways of getting to PV plus a lot of other information about the area in general http://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php

I believe green turtle nesting season in Tortuguero (which is on the northern Caribbean coast) starts in July. Access to Tortuguero is by boat or air and there are some organized tours that can pick up/drop off in Puerto Viejo, San Jose or Arenal (this is probably the volcano that your friend referred to) https://secure.puertoviejosatellite....vsat&t=tortuge

You may want to look at scheduled shared shuttles for getting around http://geckotrail.com/shuttle.htm?af=pvsat as a private transfer or taxi would be expensive. SJO to PV is about 5 hours and SJO to Arenal is about 3.

If you haven't picked up a guidebook, I found the Moon guide fairly comprehensive.

I need to add that I haven't been to Costa Rica yet so this is all from research
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Looks like you've done your homework, Patty!

Hi extravaganttraveller,

Looks like you are also heavily into research mode!

First of all, Costa Rica is fantastic! An excellent choice for a 10 day adventure. I'll try to address a few of your questions:

<b>Traveling Solo</b>: Haven't done it myself but there are several posters here that have. Costa Rica is pretty user-friendly. The people are generally very nice, and most everyone connected with tourism speaks english. Take along a phrase book and make an effort to use the basic greetings and thank you's (Buenos Dias, Buenas Tardes, Gracias...). You'll get along just fine.

<b>Where to Go</b>: You have <i>lots</i> of choices available. The Arenal Volcano area is an excellent suggestion, worthy of 3-4 nights. There is a lot to do there; volcano watching, hiking, hot springs, zip lines, hanging bridges, waterfall, Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge... There is a good selection of hotels available to fit pretty much any budget.

Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean coast would be a good choice for your beach time. It's pretty laid back and a little more off-the-beaten-track than some of the Pacific beaches. You could probably spend another 3-4 nights in that area.

Patty gives a good rundown of Tortuguero, which would be another option for 2-3 days. Some people have terrific wildlife viewing here and it's a good place to see turtles during nesting season. This is also a pretty off-the-beaten-track location.

If you'd like to be even more off-the-beaten-track, the Osa Peninsula on the Pacific side is amazing for immersing yourself in nature and seeing lots of wildlife. Many accommodations here are of the eco-lodge variety and are located in the rain forest miles from the nearest town. The Osa is definitely worth 3-4 nights.

These are just a few suggestions for you to research. Everyone has their favorites.

Most people do by-pass San Jose. It's a large city with all the typical traffic and congestion. This is not what most people come to CR for although it does have some decent museums and restaurants. The larger Central Valley area that surrounds San Jose does have some noteworthy things to see and do (Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall Gardens, coffee plantation tour...).

<b>Packing</b>: Your list looks pretty good. The quick-dry exercise type clothing does work well. Lightweight cotton is fine too, it just doesn't dry out quite as nicely. The long sleeve shirt is a good idea. You might even want a lightweight fleece jacket depending on where you go. The temps at Arenal were actually on the cool side when I was there.

If you take the iPhone, keep close tabs on it and maybe be a bit subtle about using it in public. Petty theft does happen in CR. You probably won't be able to get a signal on it for calls or internet. Are you using it as your only camera? It won't help you much with any wildlife shots because you won't have a decent zoom. You might want to keep it in a plastic baggie with a dessicant pack to help with moisture. I've done that with my camera.

<b>Money</b>: U.S. currency is widely accepted, but you'll want mainly small bills (1's, 5's with a few 10's and 20's). You can get USD or colones from most ATMs. You'll generally be given colones as change for any cash purchase you make. I don't usually bother to change money beforehand, and have not had any issues.

Whew! You asked a lot of good questions. Hope this helps a bit.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM

ET, I love the packing list. Some great ideas there. Perhaps a journal, a book, an iPod (if you decide to leave your IPhone at home) or other diversion. I'm on my way soon, and if you leave the driving to others, there are some three hour jaunts and possibly some "rain delays".
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Hi
I also am planning a first time trip to CR for ten days. Beginning in July. I have been using a Pacific Trade Winds to help me plan my trip so far they have been great ansering all e-mails and questions right away. The also provide for Transportaion and will be able to help out if any problems occur.
I will be travelling with my wife and 12 year old son so my interest maybe completely different than what you are looking for, but here is my Itenerary so far.
Day 1: Arrive at airport and have transportation waiting to go to La Fortuna. We will stay at Arenal Springs Resort & Spa.
Day 2: Afternoon trip to Arenal Volcano then to Baldi Hot Springs.
Day 3: Whitewater Rafting Rio Balsa Rapids.
Day 4; Fishing Lake Arenal.
Day 5: Land-Boat Transport to Monteverde to Hotel Belmar.
Day 6: Tour of Cloud Forest and Canopy Zipline Adventure.
Day 7: Transportaion to The Falls Resort in Manuel Antonio.
Day 8: Fishing inshore for Roosterfish etc.
Day 9: Day at beach kick back and relax.
Day 10: Back to Airport send Family home and me back to Iraq.

Hope this helps. And any comments or help suggest on my trip will be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Iraq08,

I hope you have the trip of a lifetime with your family - you deserve it!

I would personally try to change from Baldi Hot Springs over to Eco Termales. They limit it to 100 people per session and it is the favorite thermal springs with many Fodorites.

I don't know if I would try to squeeze Monteverde in there. It will take you 1/2 day to get there, leaving you only 1 1/2 days to enjoy it. You can always zipline at SkyTrek at Arenal.

Were you interested in wildlife viewing at Arenal? If so, the boat trip to Cano Negro Wildlife refuge is highly recommended. You will also see a lot at Manuel Antonio.

Enjoy!!
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Hi, Iraq - I was going to say the same thing as colibri. Baldi has gotten some negative reviews on the board, and we met people in Arenal that went there and didn't like it at all - loud with overpriced drinks. If you can switch it, I'd go to Eco Termales; we loved it. Agree about Cano Negro too - we loved doing the tour with Sunset Tours and saw some neat wildlife like monkeys, sloths, birds, etc. If you don't love fishing, you might switch your Lake Arenal fishing day for that. The Hanging Bridges is a nice hike if that interests you. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading post on Eco vs Baldi Hot Springs. I do belive Eco will be a better choice for the adults. But I am wondering about my 12 year? Does Eco have Slides etc. I will also consider the Cano Negro vs Going to Montverde. Looking forward to a great trip. Thanks Volcanogirl and Colibri.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM

If you really want to please your 12-year old, I'd pick Tabacon over Baldi. Tabacon is sort of the "Disney" of hot springs. As adults, we liked Eco T because it's quieter, less crowded, and they serve a great dinner, but I think a 12-year old would love Tabacon. We thought it was a little overpriced and crowded, but they have all the big stuff including a water slide that my 30-something year old husband enjoyed!
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM

I appreciate the input. I will look over all my options.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Hello I am the original poster and even though my post got slightly derailed I just wanted to take the time to say thanks for all the info so far. I've been so busy getting all my gear ready that I haven't had much time to do any more research. I'm finally going to get my Lonely Planet or MOON (which is better?) today and I expect it might help with planning. I know at least that when my plane lands at 6:35am I am going straight to Arenal for about 2 or 3 days. The rest is still in the works.....who knows maybe I'll just play it by ear once I get there.

I'm still curious about the best type of shoes for the trip. I was looking at Merrills that claim to be water resistant. I also looked at water shoes like the Teva style where little bits of your foot are visible between the straps but I wonder about the bugs and stuff and if I would need more foot protection/support.

Speaking of bugs, Has anyone tried CUTTER ADVANCED bug repellent that uses Picardin instead of Deet? They claim it's great for mosquitos but I wonder about tics and other crawlers.

I still have so many questions and I really don't even how what to ask but I just wanted to say thanks to everybody so far. I plan to dive into some of those links this weekend.

-Extravaganttraller
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Hi extra -- sorry for derailing and this is usually the way it goes...one question leads to another and other people tag on and have other questions too. I like the Moon guidebook, I believe they have a version that came out last year. I also lie Rum & Reggae for something a little more spunky.

I've always worn Keen, and Merrill is a good choice too. I to spray my feet! I haven't used Picardin, but do use 30% DEET, mosquitoes love us.

Iraq - I do think your 12 year old would enjoy Eco-Thermales. There are no waterslides but it's really beautiful and I took my daughter when she was about that age and we had a great time, just the two of us, but there were other kids there too. One year we stayed at Los Lagos, which was a big hit when she was 11 because there are several pools including a hot spring fed pool, slides (one pretty exciting one) and lots of families.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM

extra, I wear Keen's and running shoes; my husband wears Salomon (sp?) Techs. We do wear repellent every day, but we use DEET.
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM

As far as shoes, I have a pair of Salomon Amphib Tech's and a pair of Merrell's, I think the style is called Siren. Really like them both, the Merrell's especially have a great grip and are versatile.

I have never tried Picardin but bought some for upcoming trip plus I have an almost full bottle of the deep wood Off with 30% deet so I guess if one isn't working the other will.
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Hello Extra. Sorry my post derailed things form your original, but thanks to all for the information.
Extra give us a post trip report and have a great time.

PS: For anyone interesred in an Iraqi vacation. Temps today expected 120 to 125 with blowing sand not to mention the other problems. Cant wait till July and Costa Rica a pool and cold cerveca.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Hello again Extra you can get 100% Deet. It is very effictive for just about anything. Thats what we use here availble from different makers. I have not tried the Picardin.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes but DEET is bad for you (especially 100%)so I am trying to find a healthier alternative. I'll probably just buy the 30% deet stuff. I was also looking at all of the links in the above post from qwovadis and noticing that most of those hotels are $100+ dollars a night. That is not exactly what I would call cheap. Is there anything in the $40-$50 range I wonder? I still need to get my lonely planet or moon guide but currently I have checked out the 2004 Moon guide from the library. I wonder how much of it is still accurate? Also, what do you guys think of the Fodors Costa guide 2009? Also IRAQ08 can you tell me more about this Pacific Trade Winds?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM

extra -- Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo is one of my favorite places and although the rates have been raised a little since I was there I know it's been because of the amazing work they've been doing there (including adding a pool). It's right on the beach and within walking distance to town walking on the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -