Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica family vacation - December (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-family-vacation-december-1116835/)

4dimad Jul 5th, 2016 05:05 AM

Costa Rica family vacation - December

Hello,
Looking for some advice on going to Costa Rica for the first time, 7 days vacation. 2 families with kids (4 adults + 4 kids 5-14 years old). Could you recommend a family friendly hotel/resort? Or should we rent a villa/house? What area should we stay in? We are flying from Boston. Will we need a car(s)? Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks.

volcanogirl Jul 5th, 2016 09:15 AM

The most popular itinerary for first timers is a split between the Arenal area and Manuel Antonio. Both areas are user friendly with good infrastructure and tons to do, very popular with families. We've stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge, Lost Iguana, Nayara, and the Springs Resort and Spa (pricey, we had a Groupon). Have enjoyed all of them, but AOL has great trails on site with hiking, lots of wildlife, and a waterfall. That would be my pick for a family. Silencio del Campo is another good option. In the Manuel Antonio area, we love Tulemar Bungalows - they have their own beach, and I really like that we had a kitchen so we could store leftovers, keep breakfast foods on hand, keep drinks cold, etc.

florclover Jul 21st, 2016 10:55 AM

If you are choosing a single area (which I understand travelling with kids) I think either Arenal or MA are great choices. In either place you can do hanging bridges, horseback riding, rainforest walks and wildlife viewing. MA has the beach, of course, and Arenal might have more river/lake type activities. We liked Hotel Costa Verde in MA and we stayed at Hotel Kokoro Arenal outside La Fortuna. They are both on the budget side, have pools, on-site restaurants, etc.
We did not rent a car because nothing stresses me out more than imagining driving in CR! Both times we have hired drivers. One driver stood out so much on our first trip that I tracked him down and used him exclusively for our second trip. He has a van, his English is great, the kids loved him, he is also a guide so knows everything about the fauna and flora. He is willing to stop and show you the sights or power through to your destination. He chooses great rest stops and will help you order or figure out something for a picky kid to eat if necessary. I can give you contact info. if you want!

travelgaya Oct 26th, 2016 09:49 PM

Hi florclover,
Planning our first ever trip to CR this December and thinking of doing MA and Arenal - could you share details about your driver so I can see if he's available?

Thank you!

4explore Nov 16th, 2016 06:48 PM

Best driver ever is Oscar. Have used him for over 10 years, 6 trips. He has become a family friend. Much more than a driver. Great guide, thoughtful, helpful, careful.

Oscar Chavarria [email protected]