Search

costa rica family vacation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica family vacation

I've read a few posts here about cr family vacations. We too are going in March with a 15, 13 and 7 year old. Was planning on maybe (?) staying at Villa Blanca 1 night (not sure if it's worth it...much to do there with kids?) and then going on to arenal for 2 nights. I thought Lost Iguana seemed nice but my travel agent is pushing Tabacon. What do you all think about that? I thought it would be better to visit the hot springs for an afternoon or evening, but not to stay there. From there we're heading to Tamarindo and staying at the diria for 1 night, so the kids can surf the next day. Then heading to Playa conchal for the next 3 days, where we're meeting friends. Leaving from Liberia. Any thoughts? Also, has anyone done the waterfall rappelling in arenal? Is it safe for kids, esp. my youngest? Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Everything sounds good. Stay at Lost Iguana. The only advantage to staying at Tabacon is that the price of the hot springs is included (and it's rather pricey); other than that, it isn't advantageous to stay there and Lost Iguana gets much better reviews. Also, LI is near the Hanging Bridges--something I think your entire family would enjoy.

Tamarindo Diria sounds good for one night--right on the beach, and Paradisus is a very nice property. Good idea flying into SJO and out of LIR. I'd love to stay at Villa Blanca sometime (and will!), but there is so much to do at Arenal, if you have time in the day to get there at a reasonable time, I'd head straight there and be ready to boogey the next a.m.! Your kids (and you) are going to have a blast!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Do you know anything about the water fall rappelling?? What other tours are good with kids around arenal? If we stay at Lost Iguana, should we rent a car to use during our stay there, so we can easily get around? I will organize private transfers between the hotels.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM

I think a car would be very handy to have. It's fun to explore at your whim! Your kids would enjoy the La Fortuna falls and SkyTrek (ziplines). They would also enjoy the daytrip (7:30 a.m. until about 3:00 p.m.) up to Cano Negro. It is fantastic for wildlife viewing. Do it with Sunset Tours--excellent group. I don't know much about the rapelling, haven't done it, but several who have posted on here have. I do know that Pozo Azul is a great company to use for that--recommended as one of the best.

We'll be there in March as well--staying at Arenal Paraiso. Our dates are the 15-17. Just a couple of nights this time. We are showing some friends and family around. Perhaps we'll cross paths!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Oops, guess that's spelled rappelling!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. How is arenal paraiso?? I was reading on some other posts that you've recommended the monkey park. That sounds like a lot of fun for kids! I'm not sure if it's anywhere near where we'll be. Now, I'm thinking that maybe we should pass on villa blanca and spend 3 nights in arenal. SOunds like there's a lot to do there! We won't cross paths, b/c we don't arrive until the 17th.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:36 PM

I don't think you would regret 3 nights at Arenal. You'll probably be wishing you had 4!

Arenal Paraiso is more rustic than Lost Iguana, but is a very nice property with a grandstand view of the volcano. Excellent central location right on the highway, doesn't require off highway driving like Lost Iguana does. Staff is excellent, there is a small spa, swim up pool, pretty grounds. It's a good value.

You'll drive right past Monkey Park on the way to Tamarindo. It is between Belen and Huacas, driving toward the coast, and on your right. They do animal rehab there and a guide will take you through. We found it quite interesting and loved holding the baby monkeys. They just cling like you're their long lost mama--pretty cute. I think your kids would definitely enjoy it!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm actually thinking that we should just spend 3 nights in Arenal and not go to villa blanca. Afterall, without a pool, my kids might be hot and go crazy, esp. after just having gotten off a long airplane flight. It sounds like you've been to cr many times! I can't wait.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:21 PM

You'll want to go back, too! It is very addictive. We developed on our first trip, 2001, a desire to see more; and after umpteen trips, there is still more waiting for us. Guess that's because some of the places we love so much, we can't help making return visits. It feels like home these days. . .I get very antsy after about 3 months. 6-9 is a real strain!

I wish we had taken our family there when they were as young as your children. They were all out of high school when we first went, but had such a wonderful time. They love it as much as we do--still, and go with us (or without us) every chance they get.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:13 AM

the kids might enjoy the Cocodrilus Valle about 200 meters north of the church in La Fortuna. Its an education/conservation project that allows you to get 'up close' to the crocodiles! Entrance is about US$2.

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/photos...rocodiles.html
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Hi Lisa,

My family just returned last night from Costa Rica and did the waterfall rappelling. My youngest is 12. I will just say it totally depends on your 7-year-old as to whether it would be a good activity.
The guides were excellent. The location, spectacular. The equiptment seemed in very good condition. They say 98 percent of people have NO experience in rappelling when they go.
You get about 3 min. of explanation and your first waterfall is the highest and scariest.
Out of my group of 10, nobody had experience; the the other kids were 17 on up. I will say, my 12-year-old son was petrified as his turn neared. Basically you get to the edge, turn around and down you go.
He did go down but was terrified the entire first run.
That being said, I think he was pretty proud of himself and thoroughly enjoyed the remaining ones. I have to admit I was pretty apprehensive myself and though I enjoyed it tremendously, I did have moments I wondered what I was doing.
We finally decided that we had to put faith in the equiptment and the guides (which made it alot easier as the trip went on). I think people of all ages have done the tour, but I would have prepared my son a bit ahead of time as to what he was going to face.
It is the one of the best activities we did while there. Some in our group thought the ziplines were scarier, but the rappelling was scariest to me. I'd still do it again though.

Jane
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jane--What other activities did you do that the kids loved? I also have a 13 and 15 year old, and want to make sure I don't lower our adventure level too much because of my 7 year old!!! Thanks.