Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Costa Rica Expeditions - has anyone used them? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-expeditions-has-anyone-used-them-319377/)

Iza May 21st, 2003 08:49 AM

Costa Rica Expeditions - has anyone used them?

We are getting good rates for some of the hotels we are planning to use for our trip to CR in August from this agency. Has anyone used them? Good or bad experiences?

ebrener May 21st, 2003 09:29 AM

Hi Iza:

I haven't used them, but usually get good rates with Elegant Adventures...Send me an email if you want their information...

Ally May 21st, 2003 10:02 AM

Hi Iza!
Funny, I pictured you as a more 'do it yourself' type vacation planner! I'd be interested in knowing what hotels they are offering at 'good rates'...did you pick out the hotels yourself or are they their picks?
Thanks

jerirl May 21st, 2003 10:24 AM

We used Costa Rica Expeditions to plan a trip to Costa Rica three years ago and were very happy with them. They made all the reservations for us - hotels, internal air, driver etc and everything went very smoothly. They did choose some things a little more upscale than we would have selected on our own, but the overall cost for the individualized trip - including private tour guide for our family of four for part of it, was comparable to standard group tour prices.

I posted about the trip when I returned, but don't know if it's still accessible. If it is, I'll bring it to the top.

Iza May 21st, 2003 12:12 PM

Thanks all.

Ally,this is actually funny because I am totally "do it yourself" as far as vacations are concerned. I booked our flights and most hotels already, except for the first 4 nights on Nicoya Penninsula. If you remember we were considering either Tambor or Malpais. So we've decided on Malpais and decided to "splurge" and stay at Florblanca! I was browsing the web in search of some additional info on Florblanca and happened upon Costa Rica Expeditions offering it at $280 per night including tax (the regular rate is $290 PLUS tax). So I am considering booking through them to save $230.

Other than that, our trip is now almost all planned:
1 night at Xandari
4 nights at Florblanca in Malpais
4 nights at Casa Romantica in Nosara
4 nights at Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo
1 night at Tabacon (this will be our second attempt to see Arenal Volcano)
1 night at Xandari

I am really excited about it and can't wait!

Suzie2 May 22nd, 2003 06:49 PM

Looks like a great trip Iza! You will have a ball.
We used Costa Rica Expeditions for the first few years we traveled down there. We would pick the hotels or ask for their advice in certain areas and have them make the reservations and travel arrangements. They do tend to go with the more upscale expensive places but we were never disappointed. They were great and always there when we needed them.