Costa Rica with teens a good vacation?

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica with teens a good vacation?

We've been thinking of a trip to Hawaii, but were encouraged to look at Costa Rica. I really don't know where to start as I don't know areas at all.

We would probably have a couple weeks there in July, need to be budget conscious and would like to do our own food most of the time with a few nice meals out. We have four kids girls 13,14,15,17. They want a combination of beach and adventure. White water rafting has specifically been mentioned.

Would Costa Rica be a good family vacation? If so, in what areas should I be looking? We'd love a good chunk at the beach, and some jungle feel would be great, too. Volcano?

Any advice would be so wonderful! Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM

One of our best family vacations! We spent 2 nts in Arenal & 7 in Manuel Antonio. Last nt we stayed near the airport. Enjoy!
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Your children will love Costa Rica! We took our three girls (ages 12, 19, 21) there this past summer. We went zip lining, horseback riding to a waterfall we could all swim in, and ATVing, along with several days at the beach. We rented a house in Ojochal with awesome ocean views. (http://www.ojochalvacationrentals.co...on-rentals.htm) Since you have several weeks, I would agree with SiteC_er and also suggest Arenal and Manuel Antonio. But really I don't think you can go wrong anywhere you go. The southern Pacific (our favorite part) is more jungle and green than the northern part which can be a lot dryer, so you will see more variety of animals in the south.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM

One other thing--my husband suggested I give you my blog address since I'm blogging about our April trip now (I know, I'm a little behind!) I'm working on the horseback riding day for my next post, and hope to have that finished next week. Here's the link: http://www.PuraVidaBound.blogspot.com I've also got some posts from another trip we took to Tamarindo which is in the Northern Pacific.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Hi, Cindy - I saw your message on my other post. We did a combo of Arenal and Manuel Antonio for our first trip, and that's a nice easy combo that gives you a lot of adventure activities plus beach and volcano. I think it's a good pick for you. We did white water rafting with Rios Tropicales, and they were excellent.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Your kids are a great age for adventures in Costa Rica. White water rafting for sure. I'd also set aside at least 2 days for some surf lessons.

I'd think about doing 3 destinations, 4 at most. The "classic loop" heads from San Jose to Arenal to Monteverde to Manuel Antonio and back to SJO for departure.

If you fly in and out of Liberia, or even if you don't, I'd look into Hacienda Guachipelin in Rincon de la Vieja.

You also might want a house/condo w/ kitchen rental while at the beach, there are lots of options.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody! I will start digging!