Costa Rica cruise and one night in San Jose?

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica cruise and one night in San Jose?

We will be taking a Windstar cruise around Costa Rica, Feb 13-20. The cruise is from Saturday to Saturday. However, we will be flying into the San Jose Airport the Friday before, and landing at the airport at about 12:30 in the afternoon.

We thought about staying overnight in San Jose, and then heading to the ship in Puerto Caldera on Saturday early in the afternoon. But, I have read posts that San Jose is not the nicest place to stay. We do not have to be at the ship until about 4:00 PM, Saturday afternoon- the ship sails at 6 PM.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for our time between landing on Friday, and setting sail on Saturday, from Puerto Caldera? Should we stay in San Jose, or someplace else? Also, I'd like to know your best transportation and hotel advice.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM

We stayed at Xandari, and it was really wonderful, only about 20 minutes from SJO airport, and it has great hiking, waterfalls, beautiful grounds, and a nice open air restaurant. Great spot for one night.

www.xandari.com
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM

I think you would be better off staying in the Alajuela area - Alajuela is where the airport is located. It is much more pleasant and safe than San Jose which really has little to offer. Xandar is great as is Vida Tropical B&B. You might also check into this place - Airport B&B. There is a new highway from San Jose to Caldera so your journey there should be interesting and pleasant. I would not take the trip to Arenal - it makes for a very long day. There are many things to do in the Alajuela area including coffee tours and Zoo Ave as well as The Butterfly Farm.

As for transportation - if you mean transportation around the area, just use taxis. Just be sure to use the licensed taxis - red car with yellow triangle - and make sure the driver uses the meter unless you have negotiated a set price. For transportation from Alajuela to Caldera, there are a number of hired drivers available - Tucan Limo Services is one that is highly recommended - or for a little adventure, you can just take the bus.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM

I agree. Save Arenal for another time. That's a tiring trip to do up there and back the next day, especially right after you've landed and right before you'regoing to board your cruise.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM

I agree - to me, Arenal is best suited when you can stay for a few days.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your informative responses.

Volcanogirl, your recommendation of Xandari looks wonderful! May I ask which room type you had? First I looked at the Xandari website, but then I read your Trip Advisor review and viewed your photos and the resort seemed even more appealing. The grounds do look beautiful.

hsmithcr, thank you for your recommendation of Tucan Limo Services. I already called and made a reservation for our return from Puerto Caldera to the airport. I am sure that there are many good drivers, but time is getting tight and Rosie was very helpful. The transfer through Tucan will cost $18 less than through the cruise line.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. And, again, thanks so much!