Costa Rica Caribbean Hotels

Oct 14th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Caribbean Hotels

Anyone had any experience with Cariblue at Playa Cocles on the Caribbean? We're trying to choose between it and Las Palmas at Punta Uva.
Oct 14th, 2004, 06:11 PM

I just returned from here, and your choices are among the best options. Pt Viejo has nothing of any charm FYI. The Playa Cocles beach is lovely, small little strip, you can walk beach for a long time. Cariblue is nice, but not on beach. I settled for Villas Del Caribe, on beach, just about 1000 feet south of Playa Cocles, north of Punta Uva. It has great two story rooms,1st floor a kitchen, french doors, a patio, BBQ, and a outdoor shower. Also tha bathroom is downstairs, and the shower is semi-outdoor enclosed..very nice. Upstairs is a big king, or two beds or bunks depending on your needs, and has a balcony with Hammocks to hang up and chill. They wanted $69, I talked them down to $45 in September, I was only gues till weekend..breakfast included, and rent bikes to get around. Check out LONELYPLANET.COM for more..you will love this coast, been here to CR 11 times, surfing mainly, but like nice places to relax and enjoy my hard earned breaks from the USA. Tim
Oct 14th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tim. I'll check into that option. How far from the beach is Cariblue? Is it on the other side of the road? I'm thinking it is. . . . .
Oct 15th, 2004, 02:43 AM

I too have stayed at the Villas del Caribe, actually we spent our honeymoon there. What a wonderful place. We would not hesitate to return. This area of Costa Rica is quite different from other areas we toured. I would encourage others to allow time in their itinerary for a visit here.
Oct 15th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much. I have been looking at the website for Villas del Caribe and like what I see! Now I'm going to try getting that discount Tim mentioned! Must admit, I'm not very good at haggling with people over prices, but it can't hurt to ask! Do both of you think it would be okay to just wait until we arrive to get a room? End of October in Puerto Viejo--I have no idea how busy, but I'm guessing there will be rooms available at most places??????
Oct 15th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Cariblue is in fact across the street from the beach. I did not see the facility (it's not visible from the road so you probably don't have a sea view), but I was told it was very nice. The beach which is across the road is the only one in the area that has lifeguards. I originally thought that this was a plus, but some locals told me that the reason there are lifeguards there is because the "undertow" at this beach is particularly dangerous. These people told me that on the previous day four people were pulled out of the water.
We stayed one night at Villas del Caribe before moving on to Las Palmas. Maybe it was because I was vacationing with my daughter, but del Caribe was not a good fit for us. Our room was in a dark row of motel rooms that looked like a 1950's roadside motel. The rooms are older. It had a double bed in one room and bunkbeds in the other. There was no A/C in our unit (I don't know if the others have A/C.) I'm not usually one who insists on A/C, but the humidity in the southern Caribbean is higher than Miami's. Because of the vegetation, the water was not visible from our room. The breakfast was no comparison to Las Palmas's. In all, I felt that Las Palmas was a much better deal.
Even though October is the driest month in the southern Caribbean area, you should have no problem just driving up and finding a room. BTW, if you are thinking about Las Palmas, just follow the signs for "Hotel Suerre" because they are on the same property (apparently they were once the same facility but were split up due to some family disagreement.)
Oct 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, rbrazill. . .still trying to choose between Las Palmas and the Villa. Definitely want on the beach. We may just wait until we get there and try to "make a deal" upon arrival!
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:29 AM

We did not have reservations with Villas del Caribe when we stayed there (February 2001). We simply showed up and inquired about availability. No problem. I believe we paid $75US per night. Note...the Villas del Caribe does not have a good beach it was more a coral shelf (I don't recall there being a pool either). You could find a 'hole' in the shelf where you could splash around. The best beach we found in that area was down the road in Manzanilla (?). After leaving Peurto Viejo we toured CR for 2 weeks (up through and around Arenal Lake, over to Samara, then Nosara and back to PV). We did not have reservations at any hotels and never had a problem finding appropriate accommodation.
Oct 20th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Mis amigos:
We are still looking. Still considering Las Palmas, although the website pictures look a bit "motelish" to me. Hopefully, that isn't true? At any rate, I've e-mailed them twice and haven't received feedback--that's always a bit discouraging. Any input on La Costa de Papito? It sounds as if it is across the beach road as well. Also, Hotel Yare? Punta Uva sounds like it is the nicest beach. Last time we were in this area, we stayed in Cahuita and drove south. It is hard for me to remember exactly where everything is located--and I know the websites can be deceiving. We leave next Wednesday so time is getting short. I'm sure if we remain undecided, we won't have a problem--except for the fact that it will be close to 5:30 p.m. (with a little luck) when we arrive.