Costa Rica - beach vacation - Dec 26 for 7 nights

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica - beach vacation - Dec 26 for 7 nights

We want to book our air fare now but have never been before (we are looking for an option to mexico where we have been several times). Being from Chicago we are definitely looking for the best weather and beaches (with options for day trips - rain forest etc). We are not interested in active night life. This being said, should we fly to San Jose or is there an airport closer to the pacific (or would you suggest carribean side)? Would make decision based upon weather and also the beauty of the ocean/scenery. We understand we may have to connect in San Jose. Thought anyone? Myself, a 13 year old and a couple who are 26.
Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Costa Rica's other international airport is in Liberia in the province of Guanacaste. The airport is 20 minutes away from one of many beaches on the Pacific coast. Check to see if United still has their non-stop flight from Chicago.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM

www.costarica.bookit.com

Book a www.paradisus-playa-conchal.com or www.riu.com

package out of ORD will be best cheapest...
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!I actually found great air deals to San Jose (for that time of year) on Mexicana and Aeromexico - $330 round trip. Will check Liberia. The Guanacaste area lodging seems far more expensive that what I found on the central pacific - from a fodor link - any input as to why such a difference in cost?
This place is a 2 bedroom condo with great reviews on tripadvisor.
http://www.clubdelsoljaco.com/
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

and i also meant to ask - what is teh catch with this palce - 4 stars air and hotel for $576 - sounds too good to be true so imagine it is???
Ocotal Beach Resort
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Jaco has kind of a seedy reputation; that may be why it's more affordable.

You might check out Manuel Antonio too.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Hi - Several groups have used Villa Cabomar in Puntarenas as a base for day trips to Costa Rica destinations including Monte Verde, beaches in Guanacaste, Jaco, Arenal, etc. The villa has three air conditioned bedrooms, a patio with spa and the rate includes full breakfast 6 days a week and housekeeping. You have access to the kitchen for other meals. It's a 2 minute walk to the beach. The rate is $198 a night and there's a discount of 10% if you book more than 7 nights. Check out http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p171138
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM

We just spent 3 days at Coconut Grove, which are bungalows right on the beach, 2 km south of Dominical. The bungalows have kitchenettes, so you can make your own food or there are several good restaurants in the area. On the new highway, it took about 3.5 hours to drive from the Juan Santamaria Intl. Airport to Dominical. It seemed like there were lots of things to do in the area, and the area seemed much more laid back and less crowded than the Jaco area. We took surf lessons, and did a kayaking and snorkeling tour. If we could have stayed there longer, I would have also gone to Hacienda Baru for wildlife, done the Don Lulo horseback ride to Naucaya Waterfall, and there is supposedly a new and exciting zipline south of Uvita. There are a lot of beautiful beaches to explore in this area, and they are not crowded at all. Manuel Antonio Park is not far either, so maybe you could split your trip between Manual Antonio and Dominical. Or stay in Dominical and do a day trip to Manuel Antonio.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Let me clarify that response...I don't think I would stay in Dominical the town itself. Stay in one of the places just outside of town like Coconut Grove. Others on this site have highly recommended Shelter from the Storm, as well.