Costa Rica Asociacion Cultural Quepos-Manuel Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this website www.acqma.org that appears to be setting up a library/bookmobile for the youth in Quepos/Manuel Antonio. It asked for book donations, and since I will be going there, I thought I'd bring some books with me to donate. The website is supposed to list local bookdrops but there is nothing listed. I tried to send email but has not received any replies. Does anybody know anything about this organization ?
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:43 PM

You might have better luck at a different site.
discoverypress.com is another Costa Rica bulletin board but the emphasis is more on living in Costa Rica. I think I have seen something about the bookmobile.
Some people on this board might be interested in that site also because it has a commercial site where you can advertise your lodges. It is also a good place for people to find houses and apartments for rent.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suzie. I posted my question on that site.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I tried to post a reply at John Howell's site, but apparently they are experiencing some technical difficulties.

Robbie Felix, the owner of Hotel California near Manuel Antonio, is very active in community service in the area and I'm sure would be able to give you the book drop locations. I would contact her at [email protected] or you can contact her through her own foundation at [email protected].
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I hope you find an inexpensive way to bring books to Costa Rica. If so, kindly let me know as the Biblioteca in my MX vill would love my collection, but way too costly to carry or ship.
Mike
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

I was able to post at the discoverypress.com but no response so far. Thanks, TAGriffin; I will try that contact. Mike, you're right, it's so costly to donate books to other countries, which is a shame. In the US, there's so much waste. Our community libraries refuse books that other countries would die for and so just get thrown out/paper-recycled .
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 04:27 AM

This was passed on to me from a Travel Agent that I have gotten to know.

Hi Sue,

I know that Hans and Sabina from Plinio are real involved in this. They are part of a group that is trying to get the old Health ministry building (near Gallo mas Gallo, and the little park) as a permanent location.

A few months ago, Sabina was a woman possessed as she was collecting signatures that the kids from the local school presented to the Muni. The Muni agreed to try to get the Health ministry to give them the building. I am sure you can call Sabina for more info.

Warm Regards,

Pat Hewitt
Costa Rica Travel Exchange

If you don't have any luck with this and are traveling into Puerto Jimenez, Toby and Lauren from Iguana Lodge as well as many other people in the area are happy to get books for the new library there.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

I was able to email Robbie Felix who gave me Alex Baker ([email protected]) as contact. Robbie volunteered to accept the books at Hotel California if I can't contact Alex.
Alex's office is in the Chamber of Commerce and I can drop book donations there. If I call him beforehand, he's more than happy to show me how well the library project is going.The library has collected 50 boxes of books currently being cataloged.

So, anyone going to Quepos or Puerto Jimenez and who's so inclined to help can bring a book or 2 to donate.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Thanks for sharing the info. I have been encouraging people to bring books to Puerto Jimenez for over a year now. No feed back on if anyone has but it is for a good cause so I hope they have. I myself bought several at a book store in Argentina last fall to bring down.