COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Costa Rica: Airport Questions

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica: Airport Questions

Two questions:

1. Do they allow smoking in the San Jose airport?

2. How much is the departure tax? Most things I have read said $17, but one site said it was $26.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:22 AM

No, I don't believe they have smoking areas inside the airport, as I've never seen anyone smoking inside. The departure tax is now $26. Don't know if it will stay that way, but that is what my husband paid in jan.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I assume I have good news for you! There is a staircase leading down to a lower level. It is on your right as you are heading toward the gates. It leads to a "smoking bar" where you can order a drink and smoke. Last March, it lead to a double that went outside! When I was back there in July, the smoking bar was there and it was much nicer. . .it was part of the renovations that were going on during that time. We returned in December and there had been even more renovations upstairs, but since I had stopped smoking, I didn't check out this little area. I'm sure it is still there! Departure tax is $26.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 05:01 PM

In the main part of the airport you can enjoy smoke free air!! Yes!!! No need to worry about being able to breath. Arrows point down to a smoking area and I didn't notice any fumes escaping from this area.

Departure costs $26 per person.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to answer my own question in case it helps others.

You can smoke in the airport. Follow the signs to the smoking bar. Go downstairs near gate 4A. There is an outdoor courtyard with a bar and tables/umbrellas. You can also order food from Church's Chicken, Burger King, or Papa's Pizza.

The departure tax is $26 per person, which can be paid with a credit card.