costa rica accomodations

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica accomodations

i'm looking for recommendations for higher-end accomodations near arenal, monteverde, tortugero, rio pacuare, tabacon hot springs, and corovado. we will be there april 4-11. we will pick 2 areas, one being arenal. we want to see jungles/wild life, cloud forests, active volcano flows, horseback ride, white water rafting on class 4-5 (pacuare?), canopy zip lines, and waterfalls.

is it possible to book a room on-site during these dates, or is it best to book from home?

has anyone stayed at the pacuare lodge? mawamba lodge? el sapo dorado? hotel montana del fuego? arenal lodge? any advice on accomodations and outfitters appreciated.

keith
memphis
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Hi Keith in Memphis - we are practically neighbors!

For a higher end accomodation on your way to Arenal, I would certainly look into Peace Lodge. Certainly will see some beautiful waterfalls here, as well as flowers, butterflies and hummingbirds, not to mention the beautiful vegetation.

As for Arenal, we stayed at Arenal Parasio, not necessarily higher end, but comfortable, with a great view of the volcano. For another waterfall, don't miss the La Fortuna waterfall.

Tortuguero, we stayed at Mawamba Lodge, very basic cabins, but the grounds, staff, food, pool, trips were all great! Really nice time.

White water we used Rios Tropicales, perfectly satisfied with their entire operation. We only did the one day trip. But it was great!

Monteverde, we stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge, nothing at all wrong with the lodge, large rooms, terrific food, but it is the last lodging before the Cloud Forest. This can be good and bad. Great for getting to the Forest, but takes a bit longer down a bumpy road to get to town. For dinner one night try - Restaurant de Lucia! Fabulous food - on the road to the butterfly garden. If you love coffee, don't miss picking up some coffee in Monteverde.

Have not gotten to Corcovado yet, but was recently on around toward Puerto Jimenez and cannot say enough about Bosque del Cabo - an absolutely fabulous place!!!!! Where incidently we met 3 people from Memphis!

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM

You should really book this trip before you go - I book vacations to Costa Rica all day - and April is turing into a problem at this point. If you're looking for high end resorts, stay at Tabacon Resort in Arenal / Fonda Vela in Monteverde / All lodges in Tortuguero are the same - all basic. Lapa Rios is near Casa Corcovado jungle lodge (all the way south) and is the most deluxe. You can email me if you'd like to book a package [email protected]
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Near Arenal, if you want to take advantage of Tabacon Hot Springs, then I recommend staying at Tabacon Resort. Admission to the hot springs is included in your room rate. Tabacon books up early --- we had a hard time getting reservations four weeks in advance, so I'd call them asap and then reconfirm before you go. We really enjoyed our Tabacon experience.

We also stayed at El Sapo Dorado, in Monteverde. The location is excellent --- mountainside, between Santa Elena and the Reserve, and close to restaurants. The cabins are clean and spacious; the restaurant is good, albeit pricey; and their management is efficient and friendly. All of that said, I wouldn't call El Sapo Dorado high-end; you won't have a/c or many amenities in your cabin (not that you miss them), and at times, you feel you are only a couple steps above camping. You may also want to look at Monteverde Lodge and Fonda Vela, which I believe are about the same price as Sapo Dorado. Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much to all of you for the great advice!

keith