Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   costa rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/costa-rica-468815/)

ZB Aug 21st, 2004 08:19 AM

costa rica

Hi,
We are going to Costa Rica Sept 2-9th. Staying one night in San Jose and the rest in Manuel Antonio. Any suggestions for a good hotel. Am trying to decide between Makanda, Si Como No and La Mansion. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Kwoo Aug 21st, 2004 08:35 AM

Hi, we just returned from CR last night. We stayed at La Colina in MA. Cost: $90 per night for ocean view suite for 4, includes breakfast. Lush grounds, 2 small pools (one with swim-up bar). WE had beautiful view of the ocean from our balcony. I recommend La Colina. Good value.

shillmac Aug 21st, 2004 08:40 AM

Hi! You sound very definite with your plans, so please pardon if my message is interference! This is a LOT of time for Manuel Antonio. 4 nights for many people is plenty--just a thought. There are so many wonderful places to go and things to do in this lovely country. The central valley around San Jose is a treasure house of beauty and fun activity.

All that aside, we loved Si Como No. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the hotels you have mentioned! Have a great trip!

trevorjoyce Aug 21st, 2004 09:06 AM

I agree with Kwoo & Neta...FYI read Trevor's & my report...we did both Arenal & fun things from Orquideaus base near SJ. Si Como No looked really special, but only saw the lobby/pool area. We were next door and had lovely grounds and full kitchen, huge balcony & view much cheaper. We don't bother cooking but like the refriderator for soda,wine,fruit and coffee maker in am. You really can't go wrong!!!

JeanH Aug 21st, 2004 10:39 AM

I could easily spend a week in Manual Antonio. I don't know anything about La Mansion, but we've stayed at both Si Como No and Makanda. We stayed in a studio in Makanda, very nice, I'm sure the villas are even nicer. Much smaller property than Si Como No. Breakfast is delivered to your room, on site restaurant for lunch and dinner. Nice pool with good service.

Our room at Si Como No was fairly similar to the one at Makanda, although a bit smaller and only a fridge, not a kitchenette. Views were about the same. Two pools, two restaurants. Si Como No is on the main road between Quepos and Manual Antonio, Makanda is on a side road down a very steep hill.
We didn't notice road noise, but we did notice the walk up the hill from Makanda. Not a big deal for us, but if you don't have a car and don't want to hike up that hill it could be an issue.

Jean

Kwoo Aug 21st, 2004 11:06 AM

To ZB,
I'm in the process of posting my trip report, called "Costa Rica Trip Report - just returned" if that will help you with planning. We had 4 nights & 3 full days in MA. Wouldn't mind spending a 4th day there to relax on the beach again. We also had 3 nights at Arenal, 1 at Poas, and 2 at Las Orquideas in Alajuela.

tully Aug 21st, 2004 08:25 PM

I had 5 nights in MA and could've used another, personally. La Mansion I haven't seen a lot of really good reviews on, the other 2 usually get good reviews here at fodors. I've only stayed at Costa Verde which I liked very much. Tulemar is another you may want to look into.

ZB Aug 22nd, 2004 09:12 AM

Thanks now I am more confused! The reason for the longer stay in Manuel Antonio is that we want to spend a relaxed vacation. Our daughters are currently back packing thru Costa Rica and we are meeting them at the end of their trip. Is a 4x4 really necessary? We will be driving from San Jose to Manuel Antonio. Thanks!!

shillmac Aug 22nd, 2004 11:32 AM

Don't be confused! Enjoy your time in Manuel Antonio! I do think you will benefit from having a 4X4. Since you have several days there, you may want to visit Dominical to the south--not an easy road. The 4X4 will give you better clearance for roads you may travel besides the one from San Jose (which is a pretty good road). You may want to travel on some side roads that are not paved, and during this time of year especially, the extra traction could prove very helpful! Hope this helps. Relax, and have a wonderful time!