COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica - 11 days: Osa, Arenal, Monteverde, Montezuma

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask your advice regarding planning a trip to Costa Rica. We are going at the second half of April (less than a month away!) and after reading about it, there are TOO many places I want to hit on our trip. I've come up with this itinerary but I have no idea - is it too much? Will I be too rushed? Your advice would be most welcome!

day 1: Fly into San Jose at 9:20AM, take Sansa 12:05 PM flight to Puerto Jimenez, stay in hotel somewhere in Osa
day 2: Leave for hike to Corcovado, overnight at Ranger Station
day 3: Back to civilization from Corcovado hike, overnight somewhere in Osa
day 4: Fly Puerto Jimenez -> Arenal (with one stop, 9:30 AM-12:45 PM), arrive in Arenal
day 5: Arenal
day 6: Arenal
day 7: leave Arenal for Monteverde (arrange transfer - drive/boat?)
day 8: Monteverde
day 9: leave Monteverde for Montezuma (arrange transfer)
day 10: Montezuma
day 11: fly out of Tambor (12:30 PM flight) to San Jose (departing flight @ 5:25 PM)
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM

It's a good itinerary...maybe one too many areas based on time getting around. I'd add a night both in Osa and Montezuma and omit Monteverde, but that's just me.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM

No it's not just you! I'd omit Monteverde as well, to give you little better time to enjoy the other stops. Also, do you have a guide set up already for Corcovado? Since you'll already be on the Osa, you can catch the early colectivo from PJ to Carate, I believe it leaves at 6:30am, the next isn't til 1:30.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Absolutely allow more time on the Osa. You will want to chill bigtime after your hike, not pack up to catch a plane the next a.m.! This area of CR is fabulous, and certainly not just the park. There are some really neat things to do out of Puerto Jimenez. If you can swing a few nights at Bosque del Cabo, wow--think you'd love it!

I'd drop either Montezuma or Monteverde in favor of more time on the Osa, depending on how much time at a beach location you'd like to have.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions! You're right - I'm trying to do too much in the time I have. I've decided I'm going to drop Monteverde from my itinerary, and focus on Oso, Arenal and a beach destination. I'm basically thinking: 4 nights in Oso, 3 nights in Arenal and 3 nights at a beach.

Trying to decide which beach area to shoot for - I'm not set on Montezuma, I realize it's hard to get to (although reading about it made it sound like paradise!) Is there a very nice beach in Osa? I'm looking for quality swimmable beach and a nice hotel with pool, nothing super fancy. Should I go for Tamarindo in Guanacaste?

I do not have a guide for Corcovado yet and would welcome suggestions (as long as they're not advertising!!!)

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM

That sounds like a good plan. Montezuma sounds great to me. I'm making my way to that area for the first time in June and will be flying into Tambor and then from Tambor to Drake Bay (4th time to Osa, but 1st time to Drake Bay). You might want to check flight schedules to see which order will work best for you (i.e., it might actually work better to do Arenal 1st or last).

plumboy recently used a guide named Dionisio Paniagua that he said was great. He's on Facebook if you want to send him a message. I don't have his e-mail handy.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM

I replied to you over at TA, but to sum up, you may want to look at some of the cute little beach rentals at Matapalo, on the Osa if you're looking for beach. Or also Iguana Lodge, closer to town which includes meals. That would cut down on your travel time, as you could spend some time in Corc. park and then spend some time chilling on the beach bearvy.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:57 PM

I haven't been to CR yet, but I'll be going in May and I've spent hours on this board asking tons of questions as may other posters can attest!

We'll be doing Arenal, Monteverde, and Osa. I can skip the beach as I usually do a week at the beach in the summer. I'm wondering if you might be better off to fly into Drake Bay instead of Puerto Jiminez. It seems to be closer to Corcovado and sounds like a place I need to put on the agenda for my next visit. Just a thought!