Costa Maya..Mahuahal HELP

Apr 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Costa Maya..Mahuahal HELP

Can anyone tell me about Mahuahal on the costa maya? Is it safe? What about driving and rental cars in general? Are the police really as corrupt as everyone says? How about Hepatitis A? What precautions should retirees take before going?

Thanks in advance for any help
Apr 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Since no one with more recent experience has jumped in, I will. (You might also try posting your Question over on lonelyplanet thorntree forum or tripadvisor.)

Wondering why you're choosing Majahual? Are you going on a cruise that stops there?

We were there about 5 years ago - with some friends who had a house on the beach. While we enjoyed our time in the area with the friends, and certainly the lodging! it didn't seem the kind of place you'd necessarily seek out. At that time a huge commercial complex had just been built there solely for the cruise ship traffic (cruise ships had just started to come there). A bumpy, rocky road connected our friends' area of the beach with the "town" and cruise ship area. There were a few interesting local restaurants near the beach. A lot of the beach isn't great for wading/swimming because of all the seaweed that accumulates on/near shore. This was also true about trash (quite a lot of it from cruise ships we were told - because of currents etc). We went to a "nice" beach down the road from house - good waves, nice bottom, no seaweed - but plenty of trash on shore.

To my knowledge (admittedly dated) the best reason to go to M is for exploring the reef - which is a very long boat ride from shore.

The area was heavily damaged by hurricane a couple years ago, so not sure what it's like these days. Think the cruise ship resort complex suffered major damage or was destroyed. no big loss IMHO.
Apr 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM

There are a bunch of trip reports at playa.info on this area. I would think you are probably going to be aboard a cruise ship from the type of questions you are asking. The town has been rebuilt and caters too the cruise ship passengers. Not sure about renting a car there but there is bus service north.
Apr 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM

If you want I have found a lot of free information in this Travel Guide about Mahahaul and the Costa Maya. See also the picture Gallery.
www.mahahualhotel.com

bye
Apr 12th, 2010, 07:03 AM

We go to the Mexican Caribbean every year. It's quite safe, we never had any problems with the police, and never had Hep A shots. That being said, Manahual is quite remote (we never went that far south).
Apr 12th, 2010, 01:05 PM

I've never had Hep A shots either and spend about 4 months a year there.