Cost of tours in Salta & northwest

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of tours in Salta & northwest

Can someone let me know how much I should expect to pay for tours in and around Salta, Jujuy, etc, for 2 adults, in mid-August?

Is it possible to get away with spending $50-$60/day for tours or tour guides (excluding hotel and food)?

Is it cheaper to book in person or should I try to do this over the internet?

Alternatively, what about renting a car? My partner and I only drive automatic transmission cars--is renting even an option for us?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Considering the long distances of the tours, the NW of Argentina is fairly cheap. A regular tour usually is a "surprise", your trip mates ususally take more time than usual while you wait in a van full of people. A Private tour is more enjoyable and you see much more at the end. The costs go from U$S50 per day per person up to U$S 100 if there are two or more people in between. Usually the tours do not include meals and hotels, unless you get a whole package. But you can find highly recommended guides for the area. TA`s review can be very helpful!
Good Luck.
Flint.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:40 PM

if i understand well, you hope to find a tour for 2 people for u$s 60 a day, hotels and meal apart.
Makes u$s 30 each person for a day tour.
Maybe a regular tour in a brimming van but not a private tour for 2 with a guide. Surely not.
A day tour means several hours driving and stopping, driving and stopping and 8 hours or more working non stop. Not easy for a guide and above this consider the money on petrol.
Tourists do not realize how many km they can drive in ARgentina in a day.
Some guides are asking for u$s 150 the day for 8/9 hours work using their private car.In Buenos Aires a private city tour, stopping more than driving in the same city can be around the same money or more.

"Porteños" people will find it difficult to drive in some parts of Salta. Even tourists can drive in Mendoza and Cordoba but not in Salta Area.

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Regarding the distances... U$A 50 - 100 is not really expensive. A day-tour is about 12 hours. More than 6 hours driving, petrol, an english speaking guide, everything have a cost.
I've heard that for less driving and some guides and agencies charge much more. Anyway, the tour to Cafayate only in one day is 400 kms driving! But the good thing of a private tour is that you can stop wherever you want to walk, to take pictures, you decide.
In a bus with 20 people the driver can not satisfy everybody... Anyway, there are both alternatives...
Good Luck!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I have been in touch with Angelica (posted by Nicci from Atlanta) and so far sounds very nice. Her email is [email protected]. Good Luck. Alana