Cost of Mexican Vacation

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 03:06 PM
Lita

Cost of Mexican Vacation

I am very inexperience about traveling. What can a couple expect to pay for a trip to Cancuun?

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 04:35 AM
Pancho

That is a very open ended question. How much do want to spend? Are you including airfare? If so, where are you traveling from? What time of the year do want to visit?

Cancun is not cheap if that is what you are looking for. Accomodations range from moderate to very expensive. Same goes for restaurants.

You will need to supply some more details in order to answer your question.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 06:32 AM
Peyton

Lita,
Prices will vary somewhat according to your departure city, the time of year (in season or off), and the type of accomodation you choose. For a property in the "standard" category (i.e. Imperial Las Perlas, Barcelo Club Las Perlas) you could expect to pay $500.00 in the off season per person to $800.00 in season per person. A "moderate property (Calinda Viva, Oasis, Cancun Playa, Kin-Ha condos) would run between $650 in the off season per person and up to $1,000 in season per person. The "Deluxe" and "Luxury" properties (Sun Palace, both Melia hotels, Hyatt, Fiesta Americana Condesa, Krystal) are going to run approx. $750 in the off season per person and $1,300 in season per person. Check the Apple charters web site. Also Travel Chater. They offer a wide variety of hotels and have always been reliable. Hope this helps. Also, if you are considering a Mexican vacation, have you taken a look at Puerto Vallarta? Very beautiful, lush and mountainous as compared to Cancun.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 07:32 AM
dan woodlief

It certainly does depend. From my own research a year ago, I found that you can generally expect to pay at least around $1500 for two for a week in a package deal, not including meals. We went in June, sort of low season, so you may pay more in the winter. Of course, depending on accomodations, this can vary widely. My wife and I found a better way for us, but for most it would be unheard of. We chose to stay downtown, where we got a nice hotel for about $40-60 a night (I can't remember the exact rate). We actually stayed outside Cancun, in Merida for one night - a pretty decent hotel, centrally located, with air, for only just over $20 (it was so cheap that we just kept the hotel in Cancun so we had somewhere to leave most of our luggage - sans valuables of course). The food downtown is excellent, generally more authentic, and much less expensive - traditional Mexican, Yucatecan, pizza, tacos, seafood, etc. While still touristy, the downtown area is much less so than the beach areas. You can easily jump on a bus for a small cost and be at a beach in 15 to 30 minutes, depending on where you are going. I would highly recommend looking into Playa del Carmen too. It is only an hour away from Cancun, an hour or so from Cozumel by ferry, and much less touristy than Cancun. The beaches there are just as nice in my opinion. It also has a very convenient bus station for day trips, many of which are closer to here than to Cancun.

I think we spent a little over $2,000, but that included shopping, all meals, site seeing costs (taxis, motorscooter rentals, entry fees, etc), a lot of travelling around, and we stayed for 11 days and nights.

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 06:01 PM
lita

Dan,

Thanks for the helpful information about traveling in Mexico. It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with making your own itinerary and what to do, etc. We appreciate all of your ideas. Thanks.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 09:10 AM
Bebe

Get the Entertainment Book. We saved loads when we used it for our Cancun trips. Hotels in the hotel zone were around $180 a night off-season. With the Entertainment rate, we paid $90 a night. Great rate for more luxurious hotels.

Also saved by flying Continental, which has discount coupons in the same book.