cosmetic dental surgery in Costa Rica ! help

Nov 26th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

cosmetic dental surgery in Costa Rica ! help

Hi, I am thinking of going to Costa Rica to get that movie star smile. Can anyone recommend a good dentist with great prices as well as where to stay. I have read that the dentist there are very good and their prices are about 1/3 of what it would cost in the US. Any suggestions on towns, hotels and dentist would be appreciated. Thanks, Millie
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I went to Prisma in Rohrmoser. Thelma Rubenstein is the dentist. I recommend them with reservations. I'm very happy with the quality of the work and it was much cheaper than my dentist at home would have charged. But I think they try to take advantage of you if possible. They did a checkup on my son and told me he had 14 cavities and would charge something like $75 each to fill. They charged $150 for the cleaning and X-rays. I didn't believe that he had 14 cavities, so my Tico friends took him to their dentist. He found 3 cavities and charged $75 for the cleaning, X-rays, and 3 fillings. I could have saved even more by going to a dentist who works on Ticos, but I was too afraid to go to someone w/o recommendations. I've heard this comment many times about Rubenstein/Prisma: THey do very good work but may try to talk you into doing more than you planned, so be careful.

Sandy
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM

If you're getting crowns you will likely have to get impressions made and then come back 8 - 10 days later so they have time to make the crowns. You can go on a nice vacation during that time instead of holing up in San Jose. During the time I was in San Jose, I was very comfortable at Casa Conde outside of the city. It's like a nice apartment w/ kitchen, living room, TV/DVD, 2 bedrooms, nice gym, washing machines in some rooms, etc.

Once you pick a dentist, find out exactly how long they need you to give them in between appointments so you can plan, and it doesn't hurt to add an extra day just in case they need to adjust something.

By the way, they make a great rum called Centenario, and swishing it around my mouth really helped w/ the pain!

Sandy
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Sandy, LOL! That Rum Centenario will cure a lot of ills for sure. I got aquainted with Cacique last week also. It definitely sneaks up on you. I'm not normaly a liquor drinker but those two are really good. We brought back a little of it this week. Thanks for the update on that dentist, I still have his name from another posting elsewhere.
Suzie
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandy. I was thinking of going to Prisma/Rubenstein only because I saw this office on a web site. Now, I am skeptical ! Would you suggest the Tico dentist your son saw ? How did you go about making the arrangements, did you send x-rays in advance,etc. Yes, I do need crowns, so I thought about staying 10 to 14 days. Thanks for your help, Millie
Dec 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I am writing a story on dental tourism for a dental newsmagazine. If anyone is interested in talking to me, please e-mail [email protected].
Dec 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Hi Millie,

Sorry I didn't get back. I loved the dentist my son used; I don't know for sure if he does cosmetic work or not. He doesn't speak much English, but I have a guide friend in San Jose who can go to the dentist w/ you. They take X-rays there. No need to bring them and they'll be a lot cheaper.

Prisma has a website and you can call them to set up the appointment -- they speak English. Like I said, they do great work but don't let them talk you into any extra stuff.

Sandy
Dec 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hi Suzie,

I made the mistake of bringing some Centenario home and now my whole family is crazy about it. It's really different. Now every time I go I'm going to have to lug bottles of that stuff home!

Take care,
Sandy