Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Corcovado Tent Lodge/domestic flights (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/corcovado-tent-lodge-domestic-flights-521078/)

Keller Apr 13th, 2005 06:54 PM

Corcovado Tent Lodge/domestic flights

We are thinking of going to Corcovado Tent Lodge in Aug. '05. Any comments on the place? Is it too rainy at that time? Can't seem to find a direct website for it.
In addition, it appears that flying around CR is not big deal. I hear they are one engine planes. Any word on safety? Can we book from the US?

dfarmer Apr 14th, 2005 04:35 AM

We have enjoyed mixing up our mode of travel while in CR. And never had a problem with flying. Sansa I think I remember only has single engines, where Nature Air has single and twin engine planes. Sansa terminal is on the same property as SJO airport. Nature Air flys out of Tobias Bolanas airport about 30 or 45 mins away.

Yes you can book from the US. Here are the websites for their domestic airlines. There are schedules for high and low season. Now sometimes the website works and sometimes you end up having to call. And sometimes it is good to have your lodge make the flight arrangements for you.

www.flysansa.com
www.natureair.com

Here is a link that is good for average weather/rainfall for an area.

www.costarica.com/Home/Weather

Sorry can't advise you on August or your lodging choice.

However I do remember back a few months ago there was a discussion on this board about two different tent camps in this area - here are a couple of links to look at. Maybe these will help.

www.corcovado.com Corcovado Adventure Tent Camp

www.costaricaexpeditions.com/lodging/corcovado/

Jessie_ Apr 14th, 2005 11:23 AM

I know for sure that Costa Rica Expeditions can make the plane reservations for you if you are talking about the Corcovado tent camp in Carate. We stayed at the tent camp a few years ago. I really enjoyed it except for the walk in the dark to the bathrooms. I'm a big chicken in the dark. The food was good, beds comfortable and on platforms. Everyone that worked there was great.

If you are talking about the other tent camp in Drake Bay I would ask them if they can do it for you. A lot of the hotels/lodges etc. have people who help with transportation.

I have flown with both Sansa and Nature Air and have been equally terrified with both so I would say there really isn't much difference. Nature Air does have a little better safety record.

Keller Apr 15th, 2005 09:41 AM

thanks for the information. I have requested bids from Costa Rica Expeditions and Bill Beard.

Amelie1 Oct 7th, 2005 10:48 AM

Would love to see a trip report about how it went at the tent lodge. Also, has anyone camped within the park at the Sirena station? I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.

greenfieldhunter Oct 9th, 2005 06:33 AM

Amelie1- click on my sceen name and scroll down- I posted a trip report several monthes ago- visited Sirena station and La Leona Tent camp- next to Corcovado tent Camp and much nicer

for more trip reports of folks who camped and hiked in the park check Lonely Planet