Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Corcovado questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/corcovado-questions-584685/)

sj1 Jan 24th, 2006 11:15 AM

Corcovado questions

We are new to this forum and hope we can get some help from some of those with CR experience and expertise. We are looking into a family trip in December to include Arenal, Monteverde, and to fly to Corcovado for 3 nights. We have 2 boys who will be 10 & 12, and we all enjoy wildlife, birding and snorkeling. Does it make sense to go to Corcovado first or at the end of the trip? We are considering Casa Corcovado. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mtnparks Jan 24th, 2006 12:31 PM

We went to Corcovado area in the middle of our 21 day trip with kids 9 and 12. Stayed in Drake Bay and snorkelled Cano Island one day and hiked in Corcovado one day.
Both were excellent although Cano Island had jelly fish in some areas. Hike with a guide in Corcovado as you'll see lots more stuff. We saw lots of toucans, macaws, parakeets, anteater, every kind of monkey, etc. Kids loved it! We also went to Monteverde/Arenal and stayed at Tabacon. They really liked that and with the free pass into the hotsprings when you stay at Tabacon plus breakfast, it is a good deal for a family of four. Enjoy!

glover Jan 24th, 2006 12:33 PM

We did this exact trip the first time we went to CR - and did Corcovado on the front end. I don't remember why we made that choice. As we returned from Corcovado I remember thinking: well after that all will be a letdown. But that wasn't our experience - Arenal and Monteverde were different and wonderful in their own ways. But we're an older couple. . . With boys 10 and 12 maybe you want to save the best? for last - ie Corcovado - in case attention span is waning. But really, I don't think it will make much difference which order you choose. Not much difference logistically I don't think. We flew in one afternoon, stayed that night at Vista del Valle outside San Jose. Then left from the domestic airport next day for Osa. Then when we returned we picked up a rental car near the int. airport and drove to MV and Arenal. Stopped at La Paz waterfall etc. on way back to SJ. Stayed at Hampton near the airport that night to facilitate early am flight.

We also stayed at Casa Corcovado. I think you'll all love it there, we certainly did. Nice adventure getting there, beautiful grounds, lots of wildlife, nice snorkeling trip to Cana, fun hike in the park, nice staff. Have a great trip! Happy to answer any further questions you have about Casa Corcovado etc.

sj1 Jan 25th, 2006 02:18 PM

mtnparks and glover,
Thanks for your input. I agree that it seems like we should save the "best" for last, and that was my original idea, but the logistics seem to work better with Corcovado first. If we do Covcovado last we need to return back to San Jose to spend the night before the flight, which means a total of 3 nights in San Jose. We are looking into stopping at the waterfalls for lunch and sightseeing on the way to Arenal after the flight from Corcovado (if we go there first). Is that too much to plan in one day?

glover Jan 25th, 2006 03:10 PM

It will probably be too much for that day. I've forgotten all the driving times, someone else will jump in and provide them I'm sure. Don't know that you'd return from Corcovado before noon would you? Getting your car could then take a while. And you want to reach Arenal before dark . . . .