Copal cabanas confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM
DJN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copal cabanas confusion

Hello,
My family of 4 (2 teen daughters)will be visiting the Yucatan area over Christmas and New Year's, 2005. My husband and I were there 18 years ago for our honeymoon and stayed in a little cabana on the beach near Tulum. Well we want to go back (I'm sure it has all changed) and some friends are coming with us (since I will be celebrating my 50th). I have been reading this forum and I am very confused about whether we should stay at the Copal cabanas. I am also surprised at how expensive everything is. Rates jump from $40 to $200 for those 2 weeks! Has anyone stayed at these cabanas recently and give it a good recommendation? Can we get nice, clean cabanas, on the beach for $100 or less at that time????
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Why don't you weed through some of the reviews that people have written and pick those which appear to have the most credence - i.e. people who have stayed there recently and point out both the positives of the place and the things they may have not liked as well.

I know there are some reviews out there like that that were clearly written by people with valid viewpoints.

Apparently, you may have also come across a couple of the rabid posts by someone who clearly has a bone to pick with CC.

I am sure you will be able to pick that individual's "reviews" out from the rest as they are all very similar and delusional in a scarily-fascinating kind of way.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Peninsula.html

(I have not stayed there - we stayed at Los Lirios when we went to Tulum.)

If you have concerns, you may want to stay somewhere else in the region, Ana y Jose or Cabanas Conchita for example - and stop by CC while you are in the area to check it out. If you like what you see, you can go back. If not, you have saved some $$$.

Christmas/New Year's is the height of high season, and anywhere you want to go will be much more $. If you want to do it, you most likely need to be reserving now/soon.

Have a great time and a happy 50th!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM
DJN
Original Poster

Yes I did find that post that seemed a bit over the edge. I have looked at Ana y Jose and the Cabanas Conchita and both are close to $200 an night! I guess we better start saving our money. I am thinking a week in the Tulum area then maybe somewhere even more remote and cheaper. thanks for your input and will need to make a decision very soon.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Well, not too remote but maybe cheaper is Puerto Morelos and also Akumal.

Both have quite a few choices for lodging.

We stayed in Akumal over Christmas a few years ago at Vista del Mar for $100 per night. (There was still availability in Akumal when we got there shortly before Christmas. The trip was very last-minute.)

Good luck!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:08 AM

As you have found out, the holiday weeks of Christmas and New Years are costly, prices skyrocket. I stayed at Copal in January, and loved it. I am not sure you would find it appropriate for teens as the beach is clothing optional. You might want to check rates at Tierras Del Sol or Retiro Maya, both have absolutely stunning beaches and I don't think the prices are too far out of your budget. La Vita E Bella also has a gorgeous beach and clean nice cabanas.
Check the pricing etc. on site dubya dubya dubya hotelstulum dot com
Staying in a beach cabana without electric was certainly not my teen daughter's idea of paradise..she thought I was crazy, and stated that she would go nowhere she could not use her blowdryer, or where she had to fight with big bugs..lol!
I loved every minute of it, but, do yourself a favor, get a cabana with a private bath, even though it is a few dollars more. Being able to shower etc. whenever you wish is a nice touch to a rather rustic vacation. Wish I was going with ya! I love Tulum!